Fiberglass box

needhelp
Unregistered guest
Hello

Is it possible to make the fron of the box where you mount the subs plexiglass or some sort of transparent material. I would liek the custom look of seeing right through the front.If this is possible can someone please let me know what i would need and how much would it cost. thanks for your help

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 98
Anything is possible with box making- just look at what people do in magizines. Since you would be mounting the plex-glass with the subs you will need thick stuff. Go with 1 in MABEY 3/4 but 1 in will do. Make sure you are very careful with screwing the subs in. Pre-drill like mad, it doesnt take much to crack plex. Remember car audio and box building is an ART!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2913
if you want the front clear, you need Lexan, not 'glass.

you'll want 1" thick lexan.
a 4x8' sheet is about a grand.

Robert J
Unregistered guest
And good luck trying to find that stuff to i found some because the thickist i could find was 1/4 of a inch. I tried every glass place within a hours driving distance, weather it be car or home glass places. I was on the for for nearly a hour.

I was asking this same question not but 4 days ago.

needhelp
Unregistered guest
is there any other very inexpensive materials that would give a great customized look unlike plain ugly wood.

Joey
Unregistered guest
My buddy made his box and covered it with roll on bedliner. Just to time to cover, but it was worth it. It looks sweet!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2919
you go to a plastics supplier for the lexan, bro. 2M or Dupont, etc.. They can supply you with all the thick lexan ro plexi you require.
Most good car audio shops can get teh stuff for ya too. They usually have suppliers for it.
It's more an industrial sort of material used for things like large fish tanks (read 280+ gallon) than it is for glass replacement.

You can use fiberglass for custom shaped boxes, just not clear.. you can add gelcoat to the 'glass though to custom color the stuff to match the car trim though. Here's a box design for a Celica done in fiberglass, similar to the design I'm planning to use in my own Celica when I buy it.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2921

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2922
and this is the same model Celica, with a more simple MDF "wedge" shaped carpeted box on one side holding a JL 12W3:

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2923
typo there, I meant 3M or Dupont.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us