Class A/B vs Class D for Subs

Username: Synapsis

Post Number: 1
Unique question for you all to ponder - I have a relatively tame car stereo setup - two sets of JL XR650 components coupled to a 300/4 and a Stealthbox mated to a 300/2 (bridged). Given the whole Class D amp for subwoofers argument, I have the option to trade a friend for his JL 250/1 which is a class D sub-specific amp (in lieu of my A/B full-range.

Now the specs on my Stealthbox list 300W RMS as the best input power, hence my choice of the 300/2 bridged. Would the lesser-powered amp, albeit a sub-specific amp, be a better bet?

In terms of adjustments, the only difference I can see is that the 250/1 has an infrasonic filter (centered at 30hz) and a bass boost circuit (which I can mimick by adjusting the sub line output on my Eclipse head unit).

Thanks for your input!

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 451
class d amps are more efficient, thats why the majority of your high powered amps are class d, but class d produces a signal with more distortion than ,say, a class a/b amp. but a class a/b amp will get hotter faster, producing 1000 watts as opposed to a 1000 watt class d amp:-)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 453
thats why class d amps are used for bass, b/c most subs handle more power than most door speakers, which are used to reproduce sounds with voices in them, and to reproduce a clear voice, you want a clear signal, which is where the less powerful, but cleaner signal class a/b amp comes in handy:-)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 454
but you have 50 watts on his class d amp, and you have a cleaner signal, so unless your amp is having trouble powering your sub(gets hot and shuts off or goes into protect) i would stick with the one you have:-)

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 246
what sub r you trying to push with 250 watts?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9210
umm actually class D amplifiers are only for subs because they can't switch fast enough in the "on/off" state of the transistors to produce a clean signal that's audibly acceptable above subwoofer frequencies. Any frequency higher than about 200Hz, and the distortion and lousy sound quality becomes audible.
Class D amplifiers are more efficient, and thus run cooler with a smaller footprint as well so yes, they are well suited to high power applications for subs.

between 250x1 and 300x1 I don't think you'll hear a big difference.. but I'd say try both and see which one you prefer as a condition of the possible exchange.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us