Is underpowering a sub bad?

Silver Member
Username: Tips

Post Number: 138
hey guys, im lookin to set up a system with sub(s) and and amp and i have about 300 to spend. so far for the subs ive narrowed it down to two 12" choices, one alpine type r or two infinty references.

Now heres my question, should i spend money on a cheap but powerful amp (something like profile) that can give the 500Wrms to the type r (or 300rmsx2 to the refs) , or should i spend it on a good but weak amp (like mtx or alpine) but only put around 300wRMS into the type r(or 150rmsx2 into the refs)? im looking for spl, but i dont want it to sound like TOTAL crap.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 576
that profile amp is not pushing out anywere what it says its total crap...both of those subs are good choices for budget systems....look on ebay for an MTX or JBL amp those are pretty cheap abd are reliable...o and underpowering a sub does not hurt it at all unless you turn the gain up and cause distortion in order to make up for the lack of power

GPAC
Unregistered guest
Yah, on eBay, I purchased an MTX TA 2301 300 x1 @ 2 ohms for my comp vr and it sounds good and looks good too, it cost about 180 w/ shipping...heres the link if you want. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5791568413&category=64573 %26%26

Actually, I started a little hate thread about whether to get that or an alpine...but im glad I got the mtx

GPAC
Unregistered guest
If you'd like to see the many comments on the Alpine m350 and that mtx heres the thread link

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/149468.html

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8461
ok, a speaker's power handling is actually more accurately defined as a maximum thermal tolerance for the voice coil(s)
What this means is that a 500 watt RMS, 1500 watt MAX speaker will be able to handle a momentary burst of 1500 watts without damaging the speaker, IF that power is a clean AC signal and is not sustained for more than an instant. The speaker's coils can handle 500 watts all day long, as a measure of heat dissipation ability. Above 500 watts of haet and the coils can incur damage.

Now this being said, the above speaker doesn't always need 500 watts to reach full excursion (see word of the day)
Depending on the speaker box type you choose, and the speaker itself, it may only need, say, 300 watts to reach peak output. Any power beyond that is pretty much unused, or at least isn't going to gain you any noteable improvement.

So, short answer is: no, underpowering a speaker will not hurt it as long as the power given to the speaker is CLEAN. If you underpower a sub and its not loud enough, do not turn the amplifier gain up higher to make the amplifier "louder."
All you'll do is over-drive the amplifier and cause the signal to "clip" which causes distortion, and damages the speaker. If the signal clips, the speaker coil will build more heat than it would with a clean signal, and a 500 watt speaker can get damaged with less tahn 500 watts when the signal is clipping.

underpowering not bad.
clipping bad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
ok i get it now, so what would be a better set up... one alpine type r getting 300 watts rms... or two infinity refs getting 150rms each...?

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
ok let me make that a little more clear...
these are my choices with my budget...

one alpine type r with a alpine m350.
one alpine type r with a mtx 421D.
two infinity refs with a MTX THUNDER 282.

what would give me the most spl without sacrificing the most sq?

GPAC
Unregistered guest
Me, personally, I like the sound of the type R, it isnt as muddy as the refs I heard, so I would go w/ the type R w/ the 421D. On a larger scale I'd rather have 1 nice sub than two mediocre subs. But if all you want is SPL the two refs would give more surface area, but Im not too familiar with their specs, but they may be a better choice (for spl)

GPAC
Unregistered guest
hmmm, not the most eloquent post, i hope I didnt sound too ignorant/noobish
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us