Alpine Type R

Bronze Member
Username: Supraspyder420

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 46
Would 120 watts rms be enough to push a Alpine type R (swr-1021D)? Its a dual 2ohm with 300rms/1000 peak ratings.

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 296
you could push it with that, but i personally wouldn't, sell the amp you have now, use that money plus some more to get another amp that will actually be around 350wrms

Bronze Member

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 47
well i have a eclipse amp powering 4 alpine type s speakers and it has a 5th speaker output of 120rms. Its going in a boat so i need a good sub that would hit with only 120rms. any opinions on what kind of sub would fit this?

Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 8
Get a Type E sub then.Your going to just burn that sub up. If its a new Type R its takes 400rms.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 377
1)underpowering a sub doesnt hurt it unless you turn the gain all the way up
2)the new Type R is 500rms

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2605
Re audio's RE line doesn't take much power, and will sound good.
Also, a little pricy, but JL w0's also don't require much power.

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 17
Oops,i meant to put 400rms.Sorry for any confusion taylor.I posted that at 4 am in the morning,hands get tired and just fall on buttons. Not having enough power to a sub,when you turn the music up it will distort. Distortion = #1 thing that cause a speaker or subwoofer too blow.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 397
it doesnt matter if you give an sub 100 watts or 1000watts all amps distort especially since when people underpower their subs thye just tend to crank up the gain in order to compensate for the lack of bass....thats why many people think that underpowering a sub hurts it..if you set your gains right it wont

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3200
"underpowering a sub doesnt hurt it unless you turn the gain all the way up"

It doesn't completey depend on the gains. Depending on your headunit voltage, maybe to correctly match, you have to turn the gains all the way up.

Your right, underpowering a sub doesn't harm it. Distortion, in the form of clipping does. Usually, higher quality amps are harder to push into clipping. If you set the gains correctly with a DMM or oscilloscope, you will be fine.

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 23
Thank you.

Unregistered guest
Why not get a Type-S? It'll match your other speakers and the RMS rating is 50-300w

Bronze Member

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 48
thats true, but do type S's sound ok? Its gonna be in the hull of the boat and i want to be able to hear it without it getting all distorted. Sh!t maybe ill just get a bazooka tube and call it a day lol. BTW has anyone heard a 10" bazooka tube? b/c i really dont want to make a box and the tube will be water/uv proof.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us