Ported AND Sealed

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 206
How do you guys think it would sound if you had two 12" subs and ported one and sealed the other to get a little of both worlds?

Great, good, okay, soso, or crappy.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3263
personally ive had similar ideas set up right I think it would work well

Gold Member

Post Number: 3264
you could save space taylor sound and have more control over the spl sq mix

Gold Member

Post Number: 3265
i thought about a line array set up in my car too for my midrange and tweets

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
I think it would create the ultimate SQL if done right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3268
yes I agree you could use two different box types and not just sealed and ported and you could run a two channel configuration or more besides that mono setup but which way you would go depends on your goals. You could use seprate amps as well with various devices on them at your disposal. I had one idea where i would use two abc boxes one for ultra low bass and the other for a powerfull upper end (im curious to see just how low a speaker can really go thats why i thought about two abc boxes that way i would use one 6.5 inch sub per box)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3269
i wanna see if i can take my one 6.5 down to 25 hz considering the control an abc box has on cone excursion

Gold Member

Post Number: 3270
it does 32 hz with no problem now but thats the fs of the speaker...I wanna go lower

Silver Member

Post Number: 213
that would be very impressive.

Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 4
Bad idea overall. If it was a good idea more people would be doing it. That's almost like mix and matching subs. I don't know why people think its a good idea.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 319
Using two different types of enclosures, you're going to have phase differences between them and the transient response will not be equal. Also, the transient response between the two enclosures are not equal. The wave coming fromt he sealed enclosure will be a 1/4 wavelength or so in front of the ported enclosure, depending on frequency. This may cause cancellation issues.

I'm sure that it can be done successfully, but it might require quite a bit of tuning.

Post Number: 9
"Using two different types of enclosures, you're going to have phase differences between them and the transient response will not be equal. Also, the transient response between the two enclosures are not equal. The wave coming fromt he sealed enclosure will be a 1/4 wavelength or so in front of the ported enclosure, depending on frequency. This may cause cancellation issues.

I'm sure that it can be done successfully, but it might require quite a bit of tuning."

Exactly, and IMO it's just not worth it. Design one proper enclosure and call it a day. That's my $0.02.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
its not that bad of an idea...its not like mixing and matching subs...its like taking a sub that is excellent with one kind of music and another thats excellent in a different kind of music and combining them to make all music sound pretty good no matter what it is. the transient responses won't be the same, but thats the point of having two seperate enclosures, so you get the boom of the ported and the attack of the sealed. Why would you have phase differences if the crossover slope is the same and they are both wired exactly the same using the same amp...i believe there would only be a phasing difference if it was reversed. What if there was a 10" ported and a 12" sealed. That could possibly be a good combination to match up the speed of the response of the woofer...just trying to come up with ideas so music of all kinds will sound good...not just certain types...keep throwin ideas out there.

Post Number: 10
"its not that bad of an idea...its not like mixing and matching subs...its like taking a sub that is excellent with one kind of music and another thats excellent in a different kind of music and combining them to make all music sound pretty good no matter what it is. the transient responses won't be the same, but thats the point of having two seperate enclosures, so you get the boom of the ported and the attack of the sealed. Why would you have phase differences if the crossover slope is the same and they are both wired exactly the same using the same amp...i believe there would only be a phasing difference if it was reversed. What if there was a 10" ported and a 12" sealed. That could possibly be a good combination to match up the speed of the response of the woofer...just trying to come up with ideas so music of all kinds will sound good...not just certain types...keep throwin ideas out there."

It's not like the idea hasn't been thought of before, and if this really was a good idea, or even a decent idea people would probably be doing it like I said before. If you can't get enough "attack" from a ported enclosure then you should probably reconsider your design. Just a thought, not bashing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3283
dave thats my point tho if you follow what everybody else says youll never find something new. I say be a risk taker do your research to your best educated guess and think outside the box. Remember people once said the earth was flat but it wasnt true either. My point being just because no ones doin it doesnt meant it cant work well or wont work decent at all thats how you discover new things. And yes sometimes you fail all part of the adventure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
"dave thats my point tho if you follow what everybody else says youll never find something new. I say be a risk taker do your research to your best educated guess and think outside the box. Remember people once said the earth was flat but it wasnt true either. My point being just because no ones doin it doesnt meant it cant work well or wont work decent at all thats how you discover new things. And yes sometimes you fail all part of the adventure"

Feel free to do the testing yourself. I'm not discouraging anyone from doing it, just stating my opinion. If someone wants to test this out and post the results on the forum then that's great. I think the answer to the question has already been answered however. The cancellation issues more than likely will be a problem and need some serious tuning. Please feel free to try the experiment yourself. I never said it couldn't be done I just don't see it being worth the time. My point was that the idea isn't all that original and i'm sure it's been done numerous times. You would think if this was a good idea, someone would have shared their success with the rest of us. I could be wrong, it's happened before ya know!

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
I don't think too many people have tried it...think of it this way...When you have a choice of oatmeal cookies and choclate chip cookies...how often are you going to mix batter of both together...not too often right? but it just might taste pretty good (sound good).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us