30hz a good tune point

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 132
how do i calculate dimensions for a ported box tuned to like 30hz i hear that good for sq and spl am i right? the sub is a polk mm2124

Silver Member
Username: Algirard1

OH United States

Post Number: 109
Go to http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/l-ported-box.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
how would you tune a sealed box to that fq? is it possible cus im really cramped for space and ive been listen to ported enclosures my whole life so im worried i wont like sealed.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1801
looking up your sub as we speak to design you a box

Gold Member

Post Number: 1802
what is the usable demensions of trunk space you have for a box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
well its for a jeep cheorkee and im using that panel with a indent in it and i want the box to be as stealth as possible

Gold Member

Post Number: 1803
what kind of power are you running to it? if you could go measure that area in the jeep it would help alot ...make sure you give yourself room for error

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
umm its round 190 rms and this is what im kinda leaing towards http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/791202/5
but space wize im just not sure to go sealed or ported. i have it in a ported box now and its sounds real good but i never head a sealed box all my old subs were in ported.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1804
ok i got an idea now lemme punch a few more numbers

Gold Member

Post Number: 1805
ill tell you now ported is you best option for that sub when i run it in my box program

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
alright on their site they give 1.5 cuft and a port of 4 inch diameter and 10 inches long. i think that is like 40hz tuned i think but i want to go down to like 30 or 35

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
also what box program do you have? is it free

Gold Member

Post Number: 1806
no it isnt free its probox professional....are you going to build exactly like this guy did on that link? or not?

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
well of couase im gonna make so it looks pleasing to me and im not sure if i want to use the panel as the back with glass, i still thing it wont be as ridgid

Gold Member

Post Number: 1807
i have an idea if you are

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
sure

Gold Member

Post Number: 1808
i meant are you definately going to use that location

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
yeah i want to

Gold Member

Post Number: 1809
if you definately want to use that location ported looks out of the question for sq do sealed and line it with say an .75 to an inch of poly batting that comes in sheets...if it boost your box to 1.40 cf sealed your center frequency will be 50 hz and your cuttof will be 43.37 hz youll have alot of drop off after 50 hz but you jeeps cabin gain should even that out ...should be a very nice sq box

Gold Member

Post Number: 1810
well as nice as you can get with that space

Gold Member

Post Number: 1811
the more space the better....optimum is 2.65 cf sealed

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
why is ported outa the question cus if u look at that pic their is alot of unused space over the tire well. i wanted to cut the port at an angle so it comes outa the box near the seat and goes throught the box over the wheel well (all inside the box of course)

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
then why does the polk site say a sealed box of .88 is ideal?

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
what im most afraid of is how diff ported and sealed boxes sound? i listen mostly to rock then thiers the ocasional thechno song to show off my system and a little bit of hip hop

Gold Member

Post Number: 1812
i dont no but i can tell you in that size it will sound like crap trust me....if you want to do ported here was my idea build your enclosure and use the 4 inch portidea you had and cut the hole out like you need to of course then take as long of a length short of 3 inches from the back of the box and run test tones and listen to it or run music and cut some off a little at a time until you hear what you want it to sound like...you may need extra pvc tubing till you find what you like with the test piece

Gold Member

Post Number: 1813
try the ported and make and adaptor plate like i did if you want to go sealed or ported whenever you want

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
well at 1.5 cubic feet what size port would i need for a tune of 30-35hz? and im rusty on math how do you find cross section area of say a 4 inch dia port so i can start using that long a$$ equation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1814
to make an adaptor plate simply cut out a square window and make an internal bracing for the plate to screw into and cut out your 4 inch pvc hole in one and mount it and make a plate solid without any holes to place over the cutout to make it sealed when you want to go sealed...thats what i did....its flush mounted too

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
and with your program requardless of using that space or not, what is the ideal box/port combo for that sub?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1815
just use this

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=ventcalculator

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
thanks alot what is the acoustic power?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1816
if it was me id do a 2.00 cf box and drop the sub in and port it to 33 hz but youll prob have a little port whistle at that tune

Gold Member

Post Number: 1817
that would be 1.85 cf after dropping the sub in if the subs displacement is .15 cf its the rms power...(basically the true rated power)

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
yeah dont want any port whistle how do i find acoustic power?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1818
its the rms power of your amplifier ...what amp is it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
i appreaciate all the help sean. ill do my best i really want to lean towards ported so i guess i fool around with the design for a while. my sub is in a ported box now 1.5 cf 4dia port 10 inches long and it sounds good. this new box plan is for a rainy day or for the summer time to keep my hands busy. so i have some time to tinker. if i were to build a .88cf sealed box with 3/4 foam on the inside with polyfil, how do you think that would sound compared to the box it is in now(my ported box has polyfil in it as well)

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
alpine mrd-m301 at 4 ohm i know thier stuff is underrated

Gold Member

Post Number: 1819
ahh very good...your at about 1.90 cf with the poly if its a pound and with the new info i found ...trust me on this it goes against what they were teaching....your at about 1.90 cf after displacements for the sub which brings you to a 37 hz port tune... i bet you pound all the way through the 50hz to 60 hz spread dont you...and you prob barely have any port whistle if at all ...duplicate that box again af far as airspace and port size and length and the same amount of poly

Gold Member

Post Number: 1820
well if your running 175 rms at 4 ohm your fine

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
alright thanks, as for i should have no port whisle i would be able to detect it right, like its not something minute right? also since nobody on speakers thread talks. i have the polk momo mmc5250 comps and i was wonderin if i were to put plactic and tape on the back of the speaker and then put glass resin on it, then took off the plastic and tape leaving a removable fiberglass cone. would that be a good idea for an enclosure for the speaker? or is this a stupid idea? this is my last ? for now so thanks for all your help. laters

Gold Member

Post Number: 1821
you would here it yes it would be a low pitched whistle in your case if you have any at all

Gold Member

Post Number: 1822
as far as your other question youd have to ask jon or glass about that im not familiar with that area

Anonymous

hey could someone tell me what all the colored dimensions on that site are? and also what is the drivers displacement.... ex: qts, vas, etc.
and does the net volume include the mdf and sub or are u suposed to subtract that from it before u enter the net volume? thanks alot

Gold Member

Post Number: 1824
not sure what your asking concerning the colored demensions...the displacement is the amount of space taken up by the subwoofer and your ports if you have any...your ports are almost nill space wise but anyway the qts vas etc is your theil small specs for the sub it usually comes written on a sheet in the box with the sub if it has any referance but if not you call the manufacture to find out these specs but your best approach would be to ask for a box size and type to what your goals are like sq or spl or a mix of both and tell them your rms power of your amp and it will make things easier for you....thn simply build to the specs the give you

Anonymous

hey thanks a ton sean but im sorry im an idiot... the colered dimentsions is what they give u and they are color coded for better understanding... thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1825
yw
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us