My Brahma 10 is doin something thats REALLY messed up!!! HELP!!!

brahmaproblem
Unregistered guest
ok, i'm the guy w/ the tapping problem on my brahma 10 it anyone remembers.

i only hear the tapping it i play bass that is punchy, no sine waves. so i played a 10hz sine wave to my 10" and got it out near xmax, and guess what...i think i found my problem!!!

when the 10" gets near xmax (not moving nearly as far as the 10" vid on the adire site! that must vid must be near xmech) THE SURROUND ON THE SUB STARTS TO BUCKLE!!! kinda like on an IDmax, but only in 2 places (near the 10 and 11 o'clock position on the surround)

yall think that this is part of my "tapping" problem? maybe the cone isnt glued on rite???

ANYONE!!! I'M DESPARATE!!!

brahmaproblem
Unregistered guest
HELP!

brahmaproblem
Unregistered guest
bump???

pleeeeeez?

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 160
i dont know sorry.
JONATHAN SOS.
Thats save our sub. lol.

SOSjohnorglass
Unregistered guest
yea....SOS!!!

help me!!!

SOShelpme
Unregistered guest
anyone???

HELP!!!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2246
Yeah, check where the cone is glued to the surround. You're experiencing "suck back" and if the surround is weak in that place it will do that. check your voice coil alignment as well, though, that can do the same thing. When it buckles on that side, does the other look like it's stretched more than the rest of the sub?

SOShelpme
Unregistered guest
yea, it seem like the surround is streching more where it buckles. what can be done about that?

what do you mean "check the VC alignment"?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2248
I meant make sure it hasn't come loose from the cone or suspension somewhere. Also make sure the suspension is connected everywhere.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 520
Wow, the more and more I hear about these problems(IDmax v2 and Brahma)the more I think I'll spend the extra money and buy JL's again when I upgrade.

I haven't been on these forums long but I don't recall seeing any mechanical complaints about them while I've been here.

Are JL Audios the "tough" sub?

-Fishy

brahmaproblem
Unregistered guest
its been me making this complaints on this forum EVERY time.

i just cant ever seem to find out whats wrong w/ this sub...sorry about all the posts, i cant seem to get a good answer

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2256
Every sub has it's rare problems, JLs included. Surround problems are #1 in most complaints I've heard from JLs, cone problems #2. Of course, you'll have the occasional burnt voice coil due to misuse, but some of the 17 year old idiots trying to show off out there are capable of killing anything from Thump to Velodyne (not saying all 17 year olds do it). All of them are great subs, I mean Brahmas, ID Max, and JLs. ID Max has improved a ton since the v1s, I haven't heard of any problems with the v3s. Brahmas have their occasional problems, but whether it's a manufacturing problem or misuse can sometimes be hard to tell. Any high excursion SQ sub will encounter problems every once in a while, due to both user and it's design, 9 times out of 10 it's due to install or abuse though. SQ/SPL subs tend to have strong motors, high linear excursion (tight gaps to achieve it as well), components will be tighter such as in underhung designs, etc. JL doesn't authorize online sales, and are usually installed in a shop for full warranty, so that negates a lot of their problems right there. As far as a toughness and build quality standpoint, Eclipse is also VERY hard to beat as well. One of my top companies from a build quality standpoint in my book.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 525
Well I'm pretty much broke, so really the point is mute. I really can't afford 2 10w6v2's(or 12's) for 1000 watts @ 1 ohm, but I might be able to squeeze out maybe ONE IDmax dual 2 ohm sub.

Do you think one 10 IDmax sealed w/ 1000 watts could keep up w/ 2 10w3's ported at 500 watts total? or would I need to go ported or use a 12.

My poor 5 1/4" Q's are gettin creamed as it is so I really don't need any more SPL, was more looking for SQ. My 10w3's get a lil rough at high power levels.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2266
Haven't used the 10W3s in a while, but I think the With a sealed ID Max I'd say W3s would hit harder, if you ported the ID Max I'd say ID Max would edge over. Pretty close. Personally, I'd get the 12" ID Max, SQ at midbass transition is very close and the 12" has more SPL and better bandwidth. Plus, you can do a VERY low tune with either ID Max, resonant frequency of the 10d2 is 20.4 hz, resonant freq. of the 12d2 is 20.2 hz.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2267
Brahma works very well at high volumes too, by the way, little better than the ID Max. RE X.X.X. is great as well, I also feel they're built better than the Brahma.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us