More confused everyday -- Buying Receiver

Username: Smites

Post Number: 1
Well I am in the market for a new receiver and after doing some research was looking at getting the Yamaha V1400. Then I started reading the forums here and decided maybe that isn't the best receiver for me. The more I read, the more I flip flop on what would be the best setup for me.

I am a big fan of movies and just can't seem to settle on one. My price range was around $500 but has slowly moved up to about $650 and I'm trying to keep it around $700 and lower but could bump it up a little more if needed.

I want something thats 7.1 because I wont be buying a new receiver for a long time. I have some older speakers right now and plan to upgrade the entire set to seomthing that will match it better so speakers right now are not a big deal.

I have a 65' HDTV with a room of about 11 1/2 by 23 feet and an older Toshiba dvd player.

What would you recommend for me?
Is my price range to low for what I want?

I appreciate all the help you guys can give.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 11
Smites,

Check out some in the Pioneer Elite line. I beleive that most of them are 7.1, and you can get some on closeout in your price range. I have heard the 55TXI and the sound was very warm and detailed, but I think it costs somewhere around $1000, but I may be wrong. Go to a search engine and type in "Pioneer Elite" and see what you come up with. I know www.soundpros.com has good deals on Elite models.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 16
Look for closeouts on the Elite vsx43 and vsx45. Both are excellent and you should be able to find them from $450-$650 or so. Also there are closeouts on the H/K 525 for under $550. The NAD 752 and 742 might also be had for similar prices.

Post Number: 14
Elitefan,

No disrespect, but Smites specifically said he wanted a 7.1 system. The NAD's are only 5.1.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 17
Johnny,
Correct. My fault. Sometimes when I start thinking about suggestions I focus on sound quality and price and forget other factors.

Post Number: 16
It's understandable...I do the same thing. Nice to see that you are still here...what do you think happened to Hawk?

Post Number: 2
Is it better to have a warm sound for movies or a bright sound?

Smites,

It is totally a personal preference. What sounds good to one person may sound horrible to another. Traditionally, the brands that are brighter are Yamaha, Denon, and Sony, while the warmer brands tend to be Elite, HK, and Marantz. I think NAD has been described as being somewhere in the middle. Go listen to them and see what you like best.

Post Number: 3
I am starting to lean toward the Pioneer Elite 53TX but can't seem to find a picture of the back of it. Do either of you two know where to find one? Only thing that might keep me from buying is the fact it only has 1 component input and I would need at least two.

I do want to thank you for all your help, as it has been very beneficial to me.

Post Number: 18
Smites,

Not sure where to find a picture of the back. I am not as familiar with Elites as I would like to be.

Username: Paul_t

www.crutchfield.com always have great pics of products they sell, usually front, back and enlarged.... not sure if they carry the receiver your interested in plus always the highest price but a great resource for info....

Username: Michaelslb

Post Number: 9
Smites,

If you have heard the new Yamaha and like it,
then by all means buy it! DO NOT go by other
people's meaningless opinions--which are usually
based on uneducated driffle and biases
(especially concerning Yamaha -- ain't that the
truth!).

With that said, there are a lot of people that
are very happy owners of the new Yamaha's (both
the 1400 and 2400) and they have been getting
exceptional ratings by magazine reviewers.

Here's a review of the RX-V2400 by Audioholics:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV-2400Receiver-p1.h tml

For what it's worth, I believe the new Marantz
SR7400 would be another good receiver for you to
compare to the Yamaha, and it's in your price
range. Go with what sounds best to YOU.

Hope that helps!

Michael
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us