Help with decision

Username: Scottblock

Post Number: 1
Hey guys i am new to the board and i have a few questions. I am thinking about buying the yamaha rx-v1400 and im not to sure about what speakers i should get for the reciever. I cannot use big floorstanding speakers ( i wish i could ) my room is about 11 feet by 11 feet and i dont have the room for it. i want to get a satalite speaker set , i was looking at the infinty 750s but not sure if its a good match for the v1400 or what. basically i am open to any opinions just as long as they are satalites and within the range of $400 to $800. also i want to know if for the money the yamaha is the best bang for the buck . I am also open to spending up to about $900 on the reciever. i basically am going to be getting my own place in the next year and want something that i wll be able to keep so i can take it with me and when i have my own place use it in a bigger living room type area. what really caught my eye about the yamaha is that it is very very feature packed and i like the ypao set up because my bed in my room is on the back wall all the way to the right so im not in the center of the room and dont want to manually set it up. i know that other companys have this but between the features and the ypao and price it really caught my eye. if there is any other recievers in the range that are better please i am open to opinions and if you have any other suggestions please let me know a speaker set thats compatible. as far as the yamaha goes i would like to here some suggestions on what speakers are good for that.
ps
i 95% use the system for movies and surround not music if that will change any desicions towards your suggestions thanks so much scott.

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 19
The Yamaha is a good choice for movies and it does have some nice features like YPAO, Silent Cinema, THX and Zone two.

I nearly purchased the RX-v2400 for my surround system. In my opinion the 2400 is better than the 1400 for two reasons. One is the extra power (120wpc x7) and the other is the remote. The 2400 is laid out much better and is easier to use.

I have seen this unit at about $750 new online, which is pretty good price for what you are getting.

Post Number: 2
thanks for the suggestion i will definatley take a look at it. but if i get the v1400 or the v2400 i would like to know what kind of speakers would be a good choice for the reciever. keep in mind i have limited space and want to stick with the satalike speakers. also what does the remote for the v2400 have thats diffrent then the v1400.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 565
Scott,
I think you should spend more of your budget on speakers and less on a receiver. You say $400 to $800. Is that per speaker or per pair or what? Anyway.. for Yamaha you will not find a better match than Paradigm. Paradigm makes so many good speakers you will not have any trouble finding soemthing that fit's your budget and matches well with the 1400 or 2400. I personally think there are several better receivers than Yamaha but the 1400 and 2400 are much better than previous models and can be had mail order at very good prices.

Post Number: 3
i mean that $400 to $800 for the whole thing of speakers. i guess i will have to raise the speaker price range and lower the reciever price range. also yes i am sure there are other recievers out there that are better then the yamaha , thats why i said im open to other reciever suggestions in my original post. im looking for the best reciever in the price range of the yamaha 1400 or 2400. also as far as the paradigm speakers go do they have something that is a satalite set or do they have speakers small in size to be mounted in the corners of the room. because like i said i am very limited in space and have to put the speakers in the corners of the room mounted near the cealing.

Post Number: 4
ok i just went to the paradigm website and there is a package that catches my eye which is the cinema 70 htib. it looks very nice and has 5 bookshelf speakers that are small in size a sub and an optional center speaker. there is also a set of speakers from a company definativetech and they have a set of speakers that is called the procinema 80. also looks very nice it has 4 satalites a center and a sub. please let me know what you think and also i would like to know if you think this reciever ( v1400 ) is the wrong choice for the money.

Username: Rhett

Post Number: 3
what about the rotel 1050?
Does anyone have an opinion on that one?

How about Rotel vs. NAD 372

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
Scott,
You have found two very good sub/sat systems. The Paradigm system and all Paradigms are very good matches with Yamaha. I think you should also look at the Paradigm Performance series and specifically the titan and Atom. These are truely great speakers for very little money and can used as mains or surrounds now or in the future. Think about the Titan for mains, the cc70 or cc170 center and a PDR10 sub. That with the 1400 would be a very nice little system. For the Def Techs I would heartily recommend the Marantz 5400. This is IMO the best under $750 list receiver today. Great Marantz sound and tons of 5 channel power. Polk is another speaker company that has 2 sub/sat systems that would go well with the Marantz, the 6700 and 7200. Any of these systems will serve you well for quite awhile in a small or mid sized room. Good luck.

Post Number: 5
i looked at the marantz and it seems very nice but in my opinion i think the v1400 is more feature packed looks like it would sound better and will have more use in the future. i honestly have no idea if what im saying is retarted or not but thats what i got from looking at them both. as far as the paradigms they look like real nice speakers and im going to consider them but they seem a little big. the thing that caught my eye about the procinema 80 is the speakers are small and seem to have very very good sound from reviews i have read. like i said im new to this and have no idea if what im saying makes sense but as of now i am really liking the v1400 and the procinema 80s. is this a good match? from what a few of the reviews say it seems like they have floor speakers because the procinema 80s are so powerful and clear. also im curious to know , it seems like from what i see that the v1400 has 770 watts is this correct? because thats more powerful then alot of the recievers i have been looking at. or am i missing soemthing or not understanding something. i have alot of electronics knowledge and am very competant in this stuff but when it comes down to brands and actually hearing these things i have no experience. right now i have a little junk reciever with a built in dvd player from sony. i am going to go to a real nice av store that has most of the products we are talking about so i will get to here them all ,and experience it first hand but i just want to have a nice knowledge about all of them and know which is the best choice from you experienced people. sorry if these questions have been asked or if i am annoying anybody i just dont want to spend $1500-$2000 and have made a really bad choice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 567
Scott,
The Yamaha 1400 has nowhere near 770 watts. Yamaha inflates their power ratings probably as much or more than anyone else. The 2400 will only priduce 43.5 watts at .1% distortion with 5 channels driven at 8 ohms. Power is not really a major issue however. What is an issue is matching a receiver and speakers sonically. Yamaha and Def Tech together is not the way to go IMO. If you are set on the 1400 and there is nothing wrong with that even though I personally think the 5400 is a better sounding reciever, pair it with the Paradigm's. This is a much better combination. You can't just look at one component and think it looks nice and then put it together with brand x and think it's going to sound good. On the flip side pairing the 5400 with the Paradigm's wouldn't be good either. You do need to listen to this stuff and be sure to take your own music and movies with you.

Post Number: 6
ok thats sounds very wise. like i said the reason for all the questions is because i dont have a good idea about the brands and how they match. that clears up the watts i guess. now as far as the speakers go i know that making a speaker desicion is going to make the whole system. now the procinema 80s are a $1000 dollar set of speakers and the paradigm set was only $550. im not sure if the procinemas are better speakers and will sound better on my system rather then the paradigms that are about half the price but if i hand pick the speakers from paradigm and go for more money within the range of the procinema set , will i be better off. and do they have paradigms that are better then the satalites that come in the cinema 70 that are similiar in size , because the size is more of an issue and im looking for a sat/sub set and if i can get something better then the cinema 70 thats still small but more higher end then i guess that would be the way to go. thanks so much for the help regardless.

Silver Member

Post Number: 568
Scott,
See my earlier post about the Paradigm Titan and Atom. They are pretty small but sound great. If they fit your size requirementsI think the above system I suggested with the Yamaha 1400 would be very nice. I have not heard the cinema 70 system so maybe I am wrong . Let your ears be your guide. You cannnot go wrong with any of the combo's we have talked about.

Post Number: 7
yea i did see that and i am just going to have to here the stuff at this point and look at the physical speakers instead of a picture. but i am going to go to the place today so i will post what happened when i get back from there. thanks so much for the help.

Post Number: 8
ok guys here is what i came to after coming back from a local av store that had everything i needed to see. The paradigm 70 sub/sat set was pretty weak considering the price but still sounded very nice i mean it wasnt to expensive but i expected more for $550 and that was without a real center speaker , im not sure if they just didnt have it set up right or what but there where 5 sats and a sub , 1 of the sats was being used for the center , im not sure if thats right but oh well. The definitve tech sub/sat sets the 80s and the 100s both sounded better then the paradigms but the 80s did not even compare to how unreal the 100s set sounded ,it was very nice. I also listened to the titans and atoms and they where very very good , around the same level as the 100s maybe a little less but they where a little to bulky for me and i like the look of the def techs better also. As far as the recievers go , i heard a few diffrent choices and the yamaha 1400 was hanging in there with the other choices i heard that where a little more expensive. I listend to a few denons and a few pioneer elites and 1 or 2 onkyos. Now im not sure of which models of the denons or pioneers i heard but i do know that the denon that was priced around $899 sounded the best and seemed fuller then the others ( not much but i heard a diffrence)my conclusion after seeing , messing around with and hearing all the recievers and speakers is i am going to go with the def tech 100s at a price of $799 talked down from $1000 and the yamaha 1400 at a price of $700 talked down from $799. If you guys have any input to weather im making a mistake or if im paying to much let me know. Im not to sure if i have a real ear to know certain diffrences but this is from what i heard and it seemed to me like the yamaha was just a little bit off from the few that i heard that where about 100 to 200 dollars more and for the price the amount of features it has and the sound quality it has it is worth the price. Also i am curious to know if i move into my own place and use this in a living room area , this exact set up will it fill the whole room nicely as long as its around 20 by 20 and if i decide to get 2 floor standing speakers for the mains and the def techs for the rest to make 7.1 would that work well also. please give me some detailed info so i do not make a mistake because im plaining on purchasing this within the next few days. and if you can explain what you mean when you say that the other ecievers are better or this reciever is better with diffrent speakers.

Post Number: 9
sorry in my last post i said the deftech 80s and 100s i meant the 60s and 80s. the 80s where a huge diffrence form the 60s thats what i was trying to say
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us