Audition tunes

Username: Tsl90

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 5
OK, this is another stupid newbie question. I apologize in advance - but appreciate all the help I get here.

If I'm going to listen to speakers is it crazy to burn several tunes onto a CD-R so that I only have to carry one disk around instead of several in order to try different types of music.

I have the ability to make an "Exact Audio Copy" which some think is superior to just quickly ripping and burning to CD. Either way - is it really better to carry around several disks?

Thanks

TL

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 533
The copy idea sounds like a winner to me. I have a Onkyo cd recorder that makes copies that sound identical to the original and carrying one cd instead of my usual 4 or 5 would be great. Just take music you know very well.

shank
Unregistered guest
i second what therealelitefan says. Take what you know, and take the range of music you like to listen to.

I like to listen to mostly hard rock metal and some lighter blues/rock stuff. So i took some hendrix (voodoo chile (not the slight return one)), some clapton, and some godsmack. This way I could test if the speakers were able to do well on the lighter music and the harder music.

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 6
Thanks alot. That helps.

TL

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1049
tpl if your saying the tunes you put on the disk
are exact digital copies i agree a pretty cool
idea.

but if your talking mp3's or ripping tunes then
putting them back together with another program
then i would say you will degrade the signal and
hamper your speaker testing.

but i like the concept. theirs about 10 songs i use
to evaluate equipment in a quick setting.

good idea.

waaazzuuppp!
Unregistered guest
good one.

Unregistered guest
TPL.......make sure you bring some really rank, old trash recordings along too. Things like old Janis Joplin, old Beach Boys and other truly nasty recordings. Hey, any speaker should sound good with a state of the art MFSL, DCC, GRP, Telarc, etc. But how do they do with the bad recordings? You know, the ones that make up 50% or more of yours and everyone else's collection? Unless your planning on never playing those poor recordings again, I think you owe it to yourself to bring some along. Also, try to bring something with music or voice that you know spans the speakers crossover points. FEMALE vocals are usually good for this. Allows you to hear how bad the designer mucked up the x-over. Male voices should NEVER sound chesty. Musical instruments should sound like LIVE lusical instruments (good luck there) and you should hear not only a distinct left and right, but also distinct center to left placement of instruments, as well as center to right, top to bottom and also front to back. You should hear resin on the bow of a cello. You should be able to tell if the accoustic guitar is using steel or nylon strings and if it's being played with a pic or plucked with fingers. You should be able to hear instruments out of tune (any Willie Nelson will do) The speakers should sound as good at late night levels as they do loud. You should not need any loudness button, tone controls or equalizers to make it sound full. Cymbals should shimmer in air. Bass should not drag on after the note has stopped playing. Background singers should be just that: in the background. You should be able to follow every note on every instrument, no matter how involved the recording. You should be able to connect with the performers musical intent. The speakers should bring you to tears if the performance is that moving. You should feel as though your listening to live music....NEVER a recording of music. Hope this helps.

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 7
Some great advice.

Thanks all

TL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us