Are HK amps Junk? - I have a dilemma, help!

Bronze Member
Username: Delirium

Post Number: 15
I bought a refurbished Harman kardon AVR-430 direct from harman kardon. I have had to have it replace once already & the second one I have is not working correctly either. It will turn itself off. I have the connections right & it is in the open, so it should not have heat problems. Is HK unreliable/ Bad quality? I am upset! Should I give them another try, or go with a different brand? What would you guys recommend?

Username: Omegagen

Post Number: 7
I have a new AVR-7200 and I've had no problems. Your unit is refurbished which you should conclude that it has had past problems. Though HK provides a warranty with their 'refurbs' you can't judge all their receivers on refurbished units that were problems to begin with.

My suggestion is to buy a new one and see what happens, if you still have the same problem with a new unit then by all means try another brand, but don't base HK's entire AV line on the performance of a refurbished unit!

Bronze Member
Username: Delirium

Post Number: 16
Well I got 2 bad ones which really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The HK rep says instead of sending a refund, he would like to send another refurb to try. Thing is that my 30 day refund period os almost over! what should I do? I have read quite a few horror stories about HK on these forums, more so than other makes it seems... I have spent a lot of time & $ on this whole HK fiasco, I just dont want to get stuck with a dud... Unfortuntly I dont have the money for a brand new HK, only a refurb.

Which receivers are in the same league (price & performance) as HK? Of course, I love the HK styling...

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 364
Doesn't the 30 day refund period start at the moment you get the replacing unit? I dont feel that HK would have more problems than others.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 494
J,
I would be very frustrated if I was you. I would try a Marantz 5400 if you get no satisfaction with H/K.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 788
i would obviously be frustrated too.

and if they don't give you a new 30 day everytime
they give you another reciever i would not get
another one.

and would look at marrantz/pioneer elite or nad.

personally i own an hk 525 and have no issues "yet".

also i have not seen very many complaining about
the quality of there h/k's more than any other.

probably the more used recievers on this board are
h/k's and nad so if you have seen more of those keep
in mind more are talked about hear because many
feel they are worth having. "if that tells you anything."

Unregistered guest
J........DON'T BUY REFURBS.......EVER! I sold mid fi and hi end audio for over a decade...and in NO circumstances did ANY refurb product work properly. Send it back, and buy factory fresh.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us