Club Saturn

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 24, 2009NMyTree100

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13774
That strikes a chord.

The only connection issue that I have had is the spacing of jacks. The spacing is too tight for various cables, such as the locking set that I sent out to various member a while back.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2184
The Dareds were the only ones that I had that issue with Nuck. MITs have locking connectors with no issues on the Saturn.

Like Saw, when I push into the RCAs there is about a 1 to 2 mm give on the back plate between the mounting screws.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13779
Ham fisted? Overly tight connections?
Unlock the plugs first?
I have not found a back[panel pic of the Saturn, but the Apollo has the jacks near the far left (viewed from the rear) against a ballister (whatever) and it is rock solid.
Huh

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2186
It occurred to me that none of y'all can exert the force Saw and I can, which is why we can make the back plane flex when nobody else can.

ROFLMAO

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10971
If you care Saw then I suggest you sell it and buy another player where the back doesn't flex. How does the player sound? Is that what's important? Just curious...no the player ain't cheap...neither are a lot of solidly build pieces that sound awful. I'll take the Saturn...you?

I do have a very nice power cord on the Saturn and it made a significant difference...to my golden ears only ofcourse...lol!

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 339
I've never needed to get that tough with any piece of gear, to insert or remove an interconnect or Power cord.

I'm typically delicate and gentle with my baby.

Maybe I'll spice things up a little and give that baby a little "toughness" and spanking

Some cat-tails, a pair of handcuffs and a leather hood should show 'er who's boss

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10978

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2188
Let us know how that works out for you. LOL

I know Halloween is still a week away NMyTree, but how about posting some pics? I wasn't sure who's going to don the hood.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13784
Has it come to this?

I considered picking up a Saturn this week, but it seems a new toy is on the horizon...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10979
New toy?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13788
I have to wait a few weeks yet, Art, but I may go digital storage/DAC.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10981
What...no Saturn, I'm apalled

Not really!

Username: Llsaw

Bukit Mertajam, Penang Malaysia

Post Number: 10
Hi Art,

No I care enough to admit that the Saturn while producing a great sound does have areas for improvement especially in build quality. If one is to only bask in the positive aspects of a CD player while ignoring the aspects that need improvement then nothing will never ever get improved.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi NMyTree,

Pardon my ignorance. A power cord = power lead = power cable. I am currently auditioning a Siltech SPX-20 power cord/cable/lead on my Saturn and yes to my ears it does bring noticeable worthwhile improvements which it should be considering the price..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hi Michael,

Yes, the give only occurs at the centre portion where the power inlet is. It does not flex anywhere else.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10984
Every piece of audio gear has room for improvement, regardless of price. There is no profound revelation in that.

We do seem to agree on power cords however...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13790
If the digital solution proves to be beyond my capabilities, then a Saturn will happen.
I wonder what the timeframe is on this big sale?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
IMHO the big sale will be until the new Saturn appears which should be soon.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10989
At this point they are saying through Dec. 31st, Nuck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13791
Thanks, Art.
I wonder what other blowout sales this Xmas season will bring?
I t might be a sweet time to get some real deals!

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
, Mike.

Rest assured, there won't be any pictures, lol.

Still trying to figure out a way to get a leather bra on the Saturn

Saw, I was not saying that you or anyone else are ignorant. I was simply expressing my perspective and experience on the subject of power cables.

Honestly, I never concern myself or even think about how power chords and their influence on the sound.

I believe there are practical/functional benefits of IEC/detachable chords.

It is so much easier to remove, clean the component, clean the shelf and then put the component back.

In the past, I have bought Cobalt Cable power chords for some of my gear ( comparatively speaking... much, much cheaper than a majority of these "High End chords "); only for aesthetic matching with the interconnects and speaker cables.

I think they look cool and neat that way.

But That's about it. Otherwise, I don't think about it

I simply have never heard a power chord make any difference (improvement) in my system. Nor anyone else's system.

I remember a friend of mine prompting me to hear a difference in his new $2,000 power chord, compared to the stock chord. I swear I wanted to hear something.....anything, if not to just make him feel better on spending over two grand on a power chord. But I couldn't.

There was no difference.

I can hear differences when I experiment with different tubes in my pre amps.

I can hear differences in experimenting with speaker placement.

I can hear differences when trying different combos of gear, in my three systems.......mixing and matching.

I can hear differences in recordings and masterings.

But power chords? Nah, never.

But hey, that's just me. I'm not trying to put anyone down. Just expressing my experiences.

And as Art stated, every component has room for improvement. That's not some kind of newsflash.

I'll see if I can make my Saturn flex, when ever I get a chance to.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2566
It's good to see the Saturn flexing its muscle.

The RCA jacks could be improved for sure - the dealer here offers a high quality install for about $250Aud.

So how much more expensive should the Saturn have been?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13792
Or given the current deals, how much less?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10991
I think the present pricing is a wonderfully agressive move that benefits everyone......and I'm damn glad for it. Nuck, isn't it about time you joined Club Saturn...lol!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2567
Yes Nuck, digital streaming and storage has its place for some I guess, but having a quality component playing quality music using tangible, hard copy media with glossy booklets to adorn a music library is a part life for me.

The next big thing to become digitalized is books - publishers, agents and even authors are going to be the big losers - do I want a hand held gadget to scroll to read, replace batteries or recharge when the words begin to fade, scour the internet for something suitable to read from millions of hacks? No damn way.

I for one don't believe digital streaming and storage has been thought through thoroughly (like that?). It's the quickest on the market with the newest fangled thing for stuffing bank accounts while stuffing jobs and industries.

We are moving too quickly and blindly into the future without improving on the past.

IMHO of course.

Now get a darn Saturn Nuck!

Bronze Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 27
While I agree with the jist & much of your argument MR, digital streaming of audio has opened up so much music to so many.
I for one listen to one of the original stations to stream over the interwebby, KPIG. Its format has spoiled me, little besides select PBS stations will fill in the void when I can't listen to the PIG.
Its the PIG's fault my music collection has grown like it has. Unfortunately, management has focused on technology a bit too much, and the station has lost its lifeblood, its truly unique DJs.
Now its the search, and blessing from the SO, for that ideal transport system.
I'd certainly like some of those celestial rings providing the satisfaction in my system.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11000
I like to listen to web radio it gives me ideas for cd's to buy. Much like MR I love my music libary and the handling of my media. I'm open to new ideas but will not be letting go of my cd library at anytime in the future.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2785
What about a system where you can take all your cd's and insert them one at a time and allow it to automatically rip the music, uncompressed to a GUI based interface that automatically libraries and sorts the music in multiple different ways. Cover Art and info of each album, song list and more. Add multiple play lists. Have it running to a high end DAC.

Music Servers will take over but I believe true audiophiles like us that must have true cd quality will still buy the cd's even if its just to rip into a Music Server to assure the best quality, or buy the uncompressed formats from the internet on the Music Server. If people were to just download MP3's on a Music Server...fine...but that is like us just playing an MP3 burned cd in the Saturn.lol. That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. I think the music industry as a whole could really thrive off internet based sales and allowing product to be used in a much better form than cd is used for now. I personally would always keep all my CD's for backup purposes or to play on a Apollo. But to have a wicked Music Server with HD audio output feeding a high end DAC, networked throughout the house allowing for multi-room audio would be my next project as a source.

This is just my opinion, and I was just throwing it out there because I see there was some discussion about music streaming and such.lol.

I think large music libraries in hard copy form like Art has and a high end Music Server can both live in harmony one day. I know I would definitely still keep the CD's. But I still want the Music Server.lol.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt the Saturn forum. Wonderful cd player by the way. Cheers guys.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11002
"I think large music libraries in hard copy form like Art has and a high end Music Server can both live in harmony one day. I know I would definitely still keep the CD's. But I still want the Music Server.lol."

I can agree with that. No interruption Nick...always good to see ya!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3183
Hey Nick, good to hear from you again!

I agree. Music servers are definitely the way of the future for listeners.

But I'm a lot like Art and M.R. (and I suspect a lot of members of this forum). I like the ritual of finding a disc on the rack, handling the physical medium and thumbing through the liner notes. And this is coming from a techie-computer guy! It just makes listening to music so much more of an interactive activity rather than a passive one.

The convenience factor of the music server is high, that's for sure, and it can definitely sound as good as a high-end CDP, though.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3536
There are sites that you can download music uncompressed. Music Giants is one of them, and their library is growing. They have CD quality and High Rez. $1.29 per track, and about $16 for a whole album.

I prefer to buy the CD and rip it, but that's just me. If/when I get a Bryston BDA-1 or a Rega DAC, I'll get rid of the Apollo. Until then, the Apollo stays. It's the last CD player I'll buy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2786
lol I hear ya guys. I could never get rid of the cd's. With or, without a dedicated cd player I will always keep them. But I am also with Stu, the Apollo will be my last cdp, and the DAC will be the Bryston. Or, well, if Rega releases a DAC of the Saturn quality that would definitely turn my head as well.

David - Good to see you too. I understand what your saying, and fully agreed with you until I actually had one in my house for the last three months and thought the music was even more interactive. I had a picture show of my baby pug going on the TV in 1080p, while recording the football game and ripping a blu ray while the music was playing through a HRT Music Streamer Plus today. Hows that for interactive? LOL!!!

Yes, I said HRT Music Streamer Plus. More on this later in another thread.

On another note, my dealer actually emailed me on Friday saying that if I traded in my CDP he would give me 900 dollars off the Saturn? Is this the promotion that is going on? 900 dollars off a Saturn, wholly crap.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2569
I don't know, admittedly, but in a world of digitalization - Dac's, digital amps, and so on - I sense that music quality will soon sound the same everywhere and become somewhat sterile. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not indicating that I think there aren't good dac's out there that might be worth having, but I think with everyone chasing this format and/or the big bucks, they'll all get to a technical apex where it may all sound the same (like some modern music - if it can be called that).

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2570
BTW - the Saturn discount here downunder seems to be $500. $3499 down to $2999. Aussies lose out again - to greedy distrubutors maybe!

Since our dollar is almost at parity with the US.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2787
hmmm I dunno M.R. I think the output on the Music Server makes a huge difference as well. I have tested three models of DAC's in my system in the last two months and all of which sounded totally different. Plus when the Music was ripped into the Music server (uncompressed of course) the music sounded exactly the same as it would in the Apollo. What I mean is, a bad recorded album (Mudvayne) still sounded bad and a great recorded album (Diana Krall) sounded Amazing. Even without the DAC if the SIM DAC software was used for the output on the Music Server. Ive been really playing hard and have tested both HRT units and the DAC Magic by Cambridge with amazing results. All were good, but some were definitely better and all brought a totally different sound. But its early yet, and you may be right. I guess time will tell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2788
LOL!!! M.R - only 5? Is 900 off just my dealer being nice to me again? What was the deal for you Art?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2572
$900 is the figure that's been tossed around on the forum Nick. Quick, act before it's too late . . .

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 28
Is this on a trade in Nick?
Unfortunately .. even an Apollo in Atlanta is going for 1200 .. tho I've seen it on the net for 995

Gold Member

Post Number: 2789
Yeah he shot me an email saying that he could give me 900 off the Saturn if I trade in the Apollo.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11003
You can get almost that much off by trading in an old used Coby DVD player. Keep the Apollo (or at least sell it yourself). Here in the USA look up the TSTO deal.

http://www.tsto.com/product_p/2571.htm

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2190
Seconded

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2573
Thirded

Gold Member

Post Number: 2792
lol wow. He did say " a cd player" I just figured he meant the Apollo. I am glad I got that cleared up. I will call him today. I wonder what I could trade in....hmm...I do have an extra blu ray player now...but it has been nice having something that plays blu rays in both system the last few months. WAIT!! That piece of crap Sony DVD player that is just there for show.lol Its gone. Awesome.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11004
I used a an old bottom of the line cd player that I picked up a garage sale for a couple of bucks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13793
dollar store item, or yard sale, Sally Ann shop.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hi NMyTree,

Sorry you can't hear the differences from a power cable. Anyway the debate on power cables is the same as whether any cables will make a difference. Everyone has an opinion and it's really pointless in debating.

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
Don't be sorry. I'm not.

I've saved myself plenty of money for music and other cool stuff; by not buying way crazy expensive power cords and cables.

I'm very happy with that.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11010
Buying more music is always a good thing!

Ofcourse I like my crazy expensive power cords too..lol!

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
I have to tell ya' .....

My friend was showing me his new interconnects, this past weekend; and I'm digging those things

They have a very cool look to them.

Don't really know why they visually appeal to me so much, but they do..

http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/audio-cables/stereo-cables//prodZ500NA THX.html

I'm thinking of getting three pairs (two 1 meter pairs, and one 2 meter pair)for my Saturn, Mac c220, Mac c252 and Jamo C809 system.

Love the way those connectors look

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3184
Those are very nice.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 29
I am on the verge of making an offer on a used Saturn, with less than 50 hours on the unit. However, the seller is the second owner of the gem, he got it in trade from the original owner.
This question goes out to those that have had their units for a while now. Have you had any problems that warranted a visit to your dealer? Is the warranty transferable. I am sure I could get in touch with the original owner (even if he does live in Canuckistan) to see what arrangements could be made.
Any ideas?

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 30
Just spoke with a dealer in Atlanta, I'm south of there in the pouring rain right now & not about to drive thru Atlanta this time of day. They are also participating the the Rega offer, 15% off the Apollo & 25% off the Saturn. Mighty appealing offer Rega is making.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
So far, I personally haven't had any problems with my Saturn, whatsoever.

Knock on wood

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13795
non-transferable. Best case is to have the original owner ship it himself for repair, but now the border is involved and stuff.
I would look in the conus.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2574
Let me see if I have this right NMT, you are buying those interconnects for visual appeal and not because they may make some improvement to the sound quality?

The Saturn - anyone in the position of buying a Saturn at the offered discounts there would be crazy to pass. Provided, of course, that they like what the Saturn does for their music. Do it!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3185
If I hadn't recently bought a Mac CDP I'd probably be buying one of these too.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2575
I would think the Mac would keep you very happy Dave.

But gee, it's great to be ecstatic!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3186
I'm very happy with it M.R., and it looks nice sitting under my MA6300.

Funny thing is, I actually think the MCD201 sounded a bit better than the 301, but the 301 is bullet-proof when it comes to reliability.

Not an issue yet (knocking on my wooden head).

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 31
Nuck, I will delay my trip home in the AM to audition a Saturn 90 miles north of here in Atlanta. The dealer said model & serial # off my old player was necessary, shipping may not be. Check Audiogon, thats where I was looking at the used model. With you and the original owner both in Canada, might be worth your while.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11011
Bryan, stop at a thrift or yard sale and pay a couple of bucks for a player if you haven't a serial number with you...or better yet just write one off of a player at the thrift...lol.

No really they don't want your player. It's just another way to do a promotion. Seems to have generated some interest..no!

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
Correct, M.R.

If I buy them (and most likely will, but not definite, yet); it's because I find them so neat looking.

I mean, I did check to see if the specs (capacitance and resistance are good). And they are.

Wouldn't want to buy some badly spec'd interconnects. But I find them very grooooooooooooooovy.

After taking a better look and doing some measuring, I won't even need the meter lengths. 1.5 ft will be perfect for all three.

I was thinking of getting the 2 meter length from the c220 pre amp, to the mc252; just in case I ever want to move the amp further away. But I don't believe that will be happening.

So no worries. The 1.5 feet will be more than enough.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2576
Dave, maybe it's not run in yet - these things can take a while. Do you leave it turned on most of the time?

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 32
I told him I was a few hundred miles from home.
He had no problem with that, I can walk in empty handed. I've more than a few old DVD players at the house. He'll trust me to send him a number, I'm sure . For the savings, its worth the postage to send it to him an old one via USPS

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3187
M.R., I bought the 301 as a demo unit, so pretty sure it was run in.

I don't leave it on most of the time. I do notice it sounds better warmed up, much like my 6300.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2577
Dave, yes the Saturn too sounds much better left on or at least having been on for an hour or more - the amps also need 15 - 30 min for best performance.

Brian, good luck - I see a Saturn in your life shortly. But remember when demoing, be sure the dealer has had the player turned on for a decent period.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11012
Certainly worth the psotage, Bryan, if he insists.

MR is right. I leave the Saturn on 24/7. It's one player that can sound pretty flat until it's warmed up...then it's superb.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I am presently using Audioquest King Cobra interconnects on the Saturn and they work very well. Planning to upgrade to an Audioquest Columbia but also currently auditioning a Siltech ST-18IQ interconnect. The Rega Couple also works well if you can get your hands on one. The Saturn is pretty responsive towards what interconnects you use so try to stay away those that accentuate the treble and always ask for a home audition if possible before buying.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2580
LL I am using the Columbia i/c's (with 72V DBS) and can very much recommend them. Previous cables were Chord Cobra 3 and VDH D102 MK111, the difference was not subtle.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11016
I am using the vdH The Waterfall which is miles better than the D102 MkIII which is very old vdH technology. The Waterfall has good synergy with the vdH Mainserver power cord as well.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 33
It's a done deal. Saturn will be shipped today. Should get to the house on Monday.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11019
Excellent, you will enjoy and welcome to the club!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2582
Congtrats Bryan - as Art says: you will enjoy.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 34
The equipment set up at Audio Alternative was a Acoustic Research VSi60 and Thiel CS2.4 speakers. Put the Mark Knopfler/Emmy Lou Harris All the Road Running CD into the Saturn.
Took all of 30 seconds to contemplate how I'll manage the funds for the AR integrated, in addition to the Saturn.
Presence and sound field were astounding. Every small detail I'd never heard before became quite apparent.
I am really looking forward to getting the thing here and set up. Considering what I heard today, I'm concerned about finding a weak link. Guess that just provides more opportunity.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hi M.R.,

Yes I've always liked the AQ house sound having owned a set of Ruby before the current King Cobra. I will try the Columbia and heaven forbid if enough budget the Colorado..

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2586
Bryan, now you've started something lol!

LL, keep in mind the Colorado are silver cabled, and the Columbia coppered. I've heard great things about the Colorado's upper frequencies, but the lows suffered a little - not enough to deter the reviewer from making them his reference cables though.

So it would depend on your system, which would suit I guess.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hi M.R.,

The Colorado is still copper but with 72V DBS. It is the Niagara onwards that is silver.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2587
Ah, yes that's right. I have the 72V DBS with my Columbia. It's supposedly an improvement over the 48V pack that's normally supplied.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hi M.R.,

How do you do that? Will AQ be willing to supply a 72V DBS Columbia?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2589
LL, if I told you that I'd have to kill you LOL!

I don't know if AQ will supply that combination, it would be up to a dealer I would think, but you could always try. Mine were purchased new out of carton with either the 48V or the 72V. Maybe dealers can order the DBS packs separately.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 35
It's alive !!
Just arrived, after ordering Wednesday @ lunch.
Hooked into the Rotel with AQ Diamondbacks.
Have the afternoon & no interruptions.
Time to reacquaint myself with a few CDs.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2595
In a week it'll start sounding good.
2-3 weeks it will start sounding great.
Be patient Bryan and congratulations.

Also, advice I took from Art and Frank - leave it on, turn the display off.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 36
so for burn in, does a disc need to be continually spinning, or the unit merely remain on?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11028
Yeah a disc needs to be spinning for burn in. Some folks just run a disc in repeat mode, not me. It's a machine with moving parts so I just do mine the patient way and listen and just let the hours go on by. I'm about 45 hrs into my burn in and it sounds better than it did at first and it seems to be just getting better. Leaving it on all of the time is critical.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 37
Well .. its on and running, 4 hours so far ...
Danny Gatton playing right now. Grandchild spending the weekend will limit listening time, which is not a bad thing.
I'm not on the road next week, which will provide more time for burn in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
Congratulations, Bryan!

Welcome To .....The Saturn Dimension.....

" You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wonderous land whose boundaries are that of imagination.

That's the sign post up ahead -- your next stop, the Saturn Dimension. "

Just play 'er as much as you can and run her good. She'll warm to you.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13834
A spooky candy for Bryan's little one.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 40
Acceptance from the spouse is the sweetest treat.
She commented earlier how nice the music sounded. Peppino D'Augustino was spinning.
Then she lamented "You can only play one CD at a time?"

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2193
It really is sweet that she had a positive impression to share with you! Hopefully she does not think you were able to pick up the Saturn for $25 (USD) as Kevin tells his spouse everything he buys costs

Also hopefully you did not comment that you could only listen to one CD at a time. Better to say quality over quantity.

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 41
When I called and had her get me the model & serial # off an old DVD player occupying space in the basement, she wanted to know why. I told her it was worth 25% off. I didn't tell her how much that amounted to, only that there were substantial savings to be had.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2194
Completely honest straightforward answer. She was helping you save money.

You might want to try a career in sales. LOL

I love my Saturn. As I posted earlier, a friend stated it was the most analog sounding CD player he ever heard. Of course it is through MAC tubes which doesn't hurt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hi M.R,

OK.. Hopefully my dealer will be able to source for me some 72V battery packs..

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2598
"Of course it is through MAC tubes which doesn't hurt."

Uh oh! Finger down the throat time again. LOL!

Good luck LL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
LOL, M.R.

Was that a ......" Like, uh ma' gawd...like....gag me with a spoon....." moment

Can't blame Mike for saying so. That Rega Saturn (and in all honesty, the Apollo too) and McIntosh combo is absolutely wonderful. It's so musical.....like Mike said...so analog.

The best attributes of analog and the best attributes of digital. Really, without any of the nastyness or shortcomings of both.

It's like butter

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 42
Audio Alternative in Atlanta carries Mac, and Audio Research, among others.
The Saturn I auditioned was hooked up to AR's VSi60 Tube Integrated. 50 WPC of astoundingly clean power. It drove the Thiels with no problem. I was actually surprised at how little power it took to drive them. ICs were AQ Colorado with the 72V DBS paks.
Now, to manage a tube amp to drive the Saturn. That would be fantastic, difficult to justify, difficult to find a place for it, but fantastic. Sound out of the Rotel is impeccable, even for a 5 year old integrated. Space here is at a premium, or at least acceptable listening areas.
So for the interim, I'll be more than content.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11064
Somewhere between the 45 and 65 hrs, where I presently am in the burn in process, a siginificant impovement happened. The sound retains it's initial energy but is more refined and round. The energy isn't around the whole note but instead right where it ought to be to make musical sense. This player is getting siginificantly better and that is amazing!

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
Soooooooo....how's the Saturn coming along for you, Bryan?

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 46
I think .. no .. I know .. that lil' gem is the best thing to ever hook up to my system.
What I need, is more time to listen.
Too much work, not near enough leisure.
I've also discovered one more compromise when all is set up in the HT system. I'm needing that quality time.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11093
Tomorrow I switch from the van den Hul Mainserver power cord to the Mainstream on the Saturn...should be fun.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2614
Lucky you Art, those cords cost a small fortune here. Look forward to the results.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11100
3 hours of burn in down with the Mainstream and only 497 to go...lol!

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 47
most interested to know what kind of difference you will realize.
sometimes, I think it would be an interesting exercise if one starts with every enhancement you can imagine, and afford, and start removing them one by one, till a noticeable difference becomes apparent.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11107
Sounds like the typical statement of a skeptic...I'll pay it no mind...lol!

I used several power cords with my Apollo (more tha I will mention below) and decided that only two bettered the stock one and for one of them it was by no small margin.

Every power cord I tried presented differently and improved one thing or another over the stock one but they couldn't present a cohesive a musical picture.

The Analysis Plus provided a deep and wide sounstage but imaging became diffuse and the whole presentation had a bigger than life feel that just didn't sound musical to my ears, it also had a detrimental effect on PRaT.

The Signal Cable was bright and shrill...nothing more to say about it...just not good.

The Cardas which was originally provided with a Sim amp was very dry and lifeless. Imaging wasn't bad...soundstage shriveled to a point where it wasn't in front or behind the speakers and was not large. Tonal color was about as gray as I've heard.

This was a big strength of the Analysis Plus...more tonally rich than any other...however it did seem to a bit much. The A-Plus cable is a good one in the right system I believe.

The Kimber PK10 was the only cable besides the van den Hul that didn't get in the way of the natural PRaT of the Apollo. It was a bit grainy and just lacks the last bit of refinement relative to tone, Soundstage upfront and imaging good...all in all not bad and I could have lived with it...had I not tried the vdH Mainserver.

The van den Hul Mainserver improved on the stock cable in every way. Quieter background, richer tonal color without being overdone. Soundstage a bit where ever it belonged with the recording. Imaging, with proper speaker setup is impeccable. PRaT completely untouched and totally intact.

So why try the Mainstream at $599 when I'm satisfied with the Mainserver...I was assured that it would lay the Mainserver to waste, and by a reliable source. Is it true...pretty much. Everything the Mainserver does well, the Mainstream does better, and that without being broke in. This is going to be a special cable and has taken the Saturn to yet another level. It's like a gate was opened and totally unrealized potential of the Saturn has been unleashed. We are only about 10 hrs into break in and improvements have already taken place...

The vdH Mainstream is an expensive upgrade and one I feel is well worth it.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2207
I rolled a lot of power cords too. The results differ not only by power cord but by what you plug them into.

For instance, I tried about 5 after-market cords in my pre-amp. I left the most inexpensive one in pre-amp as I could not discern any real differences among the $100 cable versus the $1,000 cable. (All my cables are bought used on Agon or eBay.) I called the manufacturer of my pre-amp and spoke with the founder. He told me that made sense because he had to go to a $3,500 power cord to improve upon what the outboard power supply of the pre-amp could manage.

So some gear is better set up to take power out of the wall and may not provide a discernible difference in power cord rolling. I do not think rolling power cords in my amps would make much difference.

Sources are another thing altogether. I upgraded the entire power supply for my TT and I have my most expensive power cord in my Saturn because it just edged out another one by the same manufacturer that sells for about half the price of the one I kept on the Saturn.

So to those that power cords do not make a difference, there may be a reason for that. To those that power cords do make a difference, there may be reason for that.

For NMyTree, I have no answers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Guys,

I've fallen in love with the Siltech SPX-30 power cable/Siltech ST-18IQ interconnect combo. It really really takes the Saturn to another level. Review to follow..

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2618
Art, LL and Michael, congrats for the improvement you guys are getting from your power cords - I may try something in the future. I just can't afford the Mainservers and the negative stories of others puts me off.

I must admit the AQ Columbia i/c's took our Saturn to another level, but I am reading so much about power cord benefits I know something will be in my future.

But what, when and how are the questions :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
Sorry, I personally don't hear a difference. Not knocking you guys.

To each his own. If it works for you guys, the more power to you.

For me, it's not worth it.

Honestly, I notice improvements by using those Bamboo Cutting boards and rubber Gripper pads (that I mentioned in the other thread), in the manner I decdribed.

But I hear nothing when ever I have tried the Power Cord experiment.

What can I say?

Correction. I've heard no differences with all power cord experiments I've done; except one.

There was one Power Cord ( if my memory serves me right, it was a XLO/VDO power cord) and it made my system sound horrible. Compressed, shrill, edgie....harsh.....nasty.

That was the only time I noticed anything and it was a very bad difference.

My Cobalt Cable Power Cords sound no different to my ears, than the stock cords of the components. They just look really cool.

More money for my music and Mac gear

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13872
When I am set here again, I may open the Mac and solder direct inside, avoiding the pigtail altogher.
I would have been happier to do this with Classe amps, but we shall see.
I have new wiring and plugs in a short dedicated circuit, so I expect little change.

mac offers nothing in cables themselves, nor do they have an opinion that I have seen.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2214
Might be a reason for that...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13874
maybe going straight into the Apollo would be more effective.
I have to think that going to solid core mains wire would be about as honest as it can get on clean power.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2215
There are still conditioners out there that could improve upon even that configuration.

The trick is finding one that does that without dousing anything out of the sound and not breaking the bank.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 949
" You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wonderous land whose boundaries are that of imagination.

That's the sign post up ahead -- your next stop, the Saturn Dimension. "

ROTFLMAO

I have a wonderful vision of Jack Klugman going into a hardware store and coming out with a Saturn, then the saleman tells him to leave it on see, and then it starts playing really awful music and it won't stop, no matter what, even with the power cord unplugged, and Jack throws it out the window.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Hi Michael,

I have yet to find a reasonably priced power conditioner. All those from the likes of Richard Gray, Adept, Furutech, Torus Powetr, etc. etc. are really breaking the bank!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13879
A generator out back might do better...

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2620
I can recommend the Thor Power Station PS10, but I think they only make it for 240/220 v at present. It doesn't degrade the sound one iota, but whether it improves it or not the jury is still out, but it's stable clean power with protection plus.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2217
Saw, I heartily agree. Even some of those you listed would not necessarily work altogether. Many can protect the gear and warranty the fact, however finding one not to "take away" from the sound is the real challenge. What I have seen cost more than any one of my components.

Perhaps M.R. is onto something...

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 617
The Isolation Transformer part of my PanaMax gives great results on all my low power stuff.

It 'only' has 400va capacity. I plug in DVD player, the CD player and the small dish receiver. TV off a different outlet on the conditioner while the amp and sub have there own outlet / service.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13880
Power straight to the amp baby!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Rega has realized the benefits of an upgraded power cable. The new flagship Osiris amp & Isis CD player comes with a Rega designed fully shielded, high quality, high current capacity mains lead. Per Pink Fish Media forum this can be purchased separately for 80GBP..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Hi M.R.,

How much is a Thor Power Station? As Michael has mentioned these things can cost more than a component. The cheapest Richard Gray for example costs half the cost of the Saturn already...

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2622
They retail for $1399 - $1799 here Saw - not cheap, but I have been burned by electrical spikes before and I'm not taking any chances with my gear. The cost to fix/replace can be high. Ebay has a used one going for around $800 at present.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Ouch! I think I will try the Richard Gray in future..

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2625
Not much to pay considering the value of our audio/video gear.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 619
2 problems, right? Surge/zaps and cleanliness?

How about a Whole House solution to surges?

http://www.zerosurge.com/residential.cfm

You can than clean up the power with a large toroid iso and be done.

If I still lived in the lightning belt (Florida) you can BET I'd have one of these!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2220
M.R. I did find a Thor here stateside. Much pricier than the one in Aussie, especially considering the conversion;

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74060

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11135
Wired with Nordost cable that's about the last thing I'd want in a system where PRaT is a key characteristic of the gear. Like Analysis Plus Nordost is very good cable but a brand that doesn't work for me. Then again some folks may say the same about vdH.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3551
I heard very good things about Torus. They have a connection to Bryston somehow (distribution?) They use a toroidal transformer made by Plitron, who makes them for a ton of high end amps.

A lot of the guys on the Bryston Circle on Audio Circle use them and replaced more expensive stuff with them. Most people said their system sounds better plugged into a Torus vs the wall, whereas other brands sounded worse vs plugged into the wall.

They're not cheap. The best one for my B60 is the second one up, and costs about $1400. Needless to say, it may be a while before I try one out.

I never see them on Audiogon, if that means anything. I'd still go with a dedicated line first.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2631
That's a Nordost Thor Mike - mine is a Thor (brand name) period. different animals. Nordost is known for bloated pricing. The dealers even have burn in equipment so they can charge their cable customers another small fortune for burn in. Brilliant!

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 54
Its burned in .. only taken two weeks
Every CD reveals music never before noticed, instruments once hidden jump out and amaze.
This set of rings has totally revitalized my system.
I was concerned at first, trying to justify this purchase to myself, after spending a career in an environment where ear plugs are required apparel. Wondering if these old ears could pick up those smallest of details that define the musician and the producer.
My father is a retired jet pilot, his hearing is all but gone. I feel sorry for him, that he'll never again appreciate the beauty that lies within the artistry.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11192
Believe it or not, the Saturn will likely continue to improve for sometime.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11838
Several weeks ago I added a vdH Mainstream to my Saturn and tonight my wife said. "Something is breaking in, don't know if it's the Saturn or the Mainstream, but vocals have never sounded as good as they do now. Every thing sounds so good.

I'm pleased as punch with Saturn and agree with Jan that this player can be taken quite a ways up in performance. Next week I will receive a set of vdH The Orchid IC's and replace The Waterfall with them. I have owned The Orchid before and am pretty familiar with the difference in the cables. My previous system didn't have the resolution to realize all of the potential of The Orchid so I'm really looking forward to this change.

Everything in the main rig seems geared to bring out the best in Saturn...synergy at it's best, and that's a beautiful sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Morph

Post Number: 49
I'm sad to say that due to "circumstances" I am no longer part of the club.... But,I have every intention of rejoining, perhaps with an Isis!!?!?!? One can hope...

So with that said, if anyone is interested in increasing the performance of their unit with a Van den Hul Mainsserver AC cord, let me know... it's the last item I have up for sale...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12402
Sorry to read this, Darren. The Mainserver is an excellent power cord for sources.

Bronze Member
Username: Morph

Post Number: 51
The sad part is it could have been prevented. My mother-in-law, who works for H&R block nonetheless, somehow forgot to submit my taxes for 2004-2008! Even though she did all of the work... I still have no idea why?!?! hence the reason for the fire sale...

Well, how is everyone else doing?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3093
Mothers-in law. Can't live with 'em. Can't kill 'em.
[Grin!]

Bad news news Darren, sorry to read about this.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3764
Sorry to hear about this Darren. I've been blindsided by that taxman, as well so I know how much it sucks!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14812
Forgot?

Exsqueeze me?

Gallos for sale?hmmm...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14227
Well the Saturn has sprung a leak. It's developed a problem with droputs. It started gradually and is now quite frequent. Off to the service center I'm afraid.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4716
Dang. That sucks Art. How old is it?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14228
Bought in Dec 2009.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14229
If it was gonna a happen now's the time I suppose as I have an NAD C545BEE coming by UPS tomorrow that I was going to put in the HT setup. I need an IEC C7 adapter to use my power cord with it, but that can wait. Guess I'll burn in the new deck with the Harbeth's while the Saturn is on holiday.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4717
Still under warranty?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14232
Yep.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1014
This is what kind of worries me about keeping my Apollo. Rega players seem to have a spotty track record, as discussed here many times. I wouldn't think a player bought in 2009 should develop a problem like this. They are sweet players though, and I love using mine.

It will be interesting to hear how the NAD measures up. One would expect it to be a solid performer, but not in the Saturn's league sonically.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14234
I won't really know until I get the adapter as the Saturn was always used with the Van den Hul Mainstream power cord.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14237
The C545BEE has been here less than an hour. Very, very impressive. This ain't granpa's grainy ole NAD.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4718
Nice to hear Art. Do you think you'd want to replace the Saturn with this? I guess too early to tell?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4719
Just reading the specs on your new CDP Art, it has the Wolfson WM8740 DAC, same as my CA 650C.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14240
Way to early to tell. Next week I will get a Pangea adapter for my power cord so that I am comparing apples to apples.

I can say that I am astonished at how much HiFi $700 can buy. I paid $400 for my refurb C326BEE and $300 for my C545BEE and they are tearing it up as I type. Every bit as good as the Mira 3/Apollo matchup, just different...shocking really.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14275
Repaired Saturn due to return today...incredible service.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4720
Nice to hear Art! Hopefully that's the last of Saturn issues.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14276
I hope so too. If not this NAD is poised to take it's place. Recieved the adapter for the power cord yesterday and let me tell ya the NAD combo really lights it up. Looking forward to doing a comparison.

The Saturn had the mechanism, ribbon cable and chip replaced. They wanted to be sure that it was going to be fine...as I said excellent service. The Sound Organisation is a top notch distributor.

Gold Member

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4392
Steve and Co. over at the Sound Org are top notch guys. I've had nothing but great dealings with them. When I was talking to Steve about the Rega DAC, he emailed me on Sunday of all days.

Sound Org has recently taken over Naim distribution. That the third distributor in about 3 years. Very odd.

Sell the Saturn and pick up a Rega DAC, Art. You know you want to

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4721
lol!

He does... do it Art!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14283
Roy Hall emails on Sunday...big deal! Steve is a good guy and I like him. Talked to him on a number of occasions. The Saturn is for sale. Won't buy the DAC though. The Rega sound is a bit strong and saturated for me at this point. I have the Saturn posted for sale or trade for a Naim CD5i-2 in the same condition. BTW the Saturn was returned to me better than new, again kudos to the Sound Org!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3452
The NAD 545bee is very good.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14314
Well the Saturn sold to a very nice man in Texas.

That said let me elaborate on what led to the sale. I won't touch on why I no longer have the Sonneteer amp. That is personal and will stay with me. That said...I no longer have it. I was now left with an NAD C326BEE...not an impressive amp...so I thought.

When connected to the Saturn it sounded thick as molasses..slow and sluggish barely begins to describe it, especially when I replaced the amp jumpers with the AQ's. Nearly all of the HF were gone.

OK, I knew the time of day when I made the change...right?

So, OK I need a CD player to use with my HT in the summer so that music can play out in the common area and out back (in the yard) during those lovely summer eves.

In comes the C545BEE...gonna break it in with the C326BEE and send the Saturn in for service. Gets the new and upgraded mechanism and cord, cool.

Oh damn...the C545BEE sounds great in the context of the setup...ok.

Then I attend another live event (Kurt Elling concert) and it becomes pretty friggin clear. I feel that the NAD combo gives me at 90% of what the Sonneteer/Saturn combo gave me (in a HiFi context) and here is the kicker...the NAD combo sounds more like live music than the other combo...WTF!

Oh I know..the inner detail and all of that was better, much better with the Sonneteer/Saturn...but that ain't what the live performance was about, all in all. It's more about the gestalt...that which makes music music...essence.

PRaT. That elusive quality that is missing from some gear, oh like Arcam for instance and say Rotel and ofcourse NAD. NAD, the industry standard for decent yet boring audio. Do no harm...or anything else for that matter...that seemed to be the battle cry of NAD...until now.

When loomed with quality cables (don't give a .... what brand) the C326BEE/C545BEE outperforms the Mira 3/Apollo combo. Better balance + all three of the PRaT's and not just two thirds of the equation. Would I rather have, oh say a Naim combo...I dunno..I certainly think so. But for now this is sounding extraordinarily good.

Such is life, right guys. This stuff is a journey...I'm afraid I am a midfi man...oh and did I say...the Harbeths along with the REL sub love the setup.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1018
Art, I enjoyed the write up. It's nice to hear that NAD is cranking out some excellent gear again.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14315
Thanks, Dan.

I didn't mention that a friend from the AK forum gifted me the matching AM/FM tuner to this setup...the C426. What a wonderful gift and it just kind of tops it off. Great hobby and great friends and ofcourse great music!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3458
I have said it before and I will say it again...The latest NAD efforts are far better than before and sound very good. Great write up Art.

Gold Member

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4399
Interesting write-up Art. Like I said in the Rega DAC thread, you've got to buy what sounds best to your ears. Doesn't matter what it looks like or what the logo on the case is.

And it doesn't hurt that your gear is a lot less expensive than what it replaced.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us