Receiver Fiasco! Can i make this work?

Username: Enderasha

Post Number: 1
Hey all I'm new to this forum but I really could use some help. I'm at work but i'll outline my problem as best as I can. I will edit and add information later when I get home on model/make etc. for reference.

Here is what I have that I'm trying to hook up and my problems with each.

-Flat Screen TV of not the most ideal quality. It has regular A/V and Component In but no dedicated audio out
-Cable Box with Coaxial Cable feed to the TV. I will begetting my hands on the HD Cable Box soon though, not sure if that helps.
-Receiver (this i need to check if it can handle video, that's the big nut i think) connected to my sub and cube surround speakers
-currently plugged into the Cable Box as i can't get the audio out from my TV at all.

What i'd like to be able to have:
-XBox 360 with component connection
-DVD Player with standard A/V connection

How can i get all this hooked up at once? Right now the XBox and DVD player would hook straight into the TV and there's no way to get their Audio out to the receiver. I don't know if the receiver can handle anything but audio. To get the receiver to play the audio for the DVD would I need to find some connector wire to connect to the audio wires from it's A/V three way split and reroute them to the receiver so only the video cable runs to the TV? i'm a tiny bit lost.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2504
Does the AVR/Receiver has digital inputs on the back?

I wouldn't even worry if the Receiver did video.

Xbox 360- Run the Component cables to your tv, then a optical cable to the receiver.

DVD Player- Run the video wire(s) from the DVD player to the TV. Then run separate audio cables to the receiver.

This receiver does have connections on the back for inputs doesn't it? Or is this one of those all in one units with only one RCA inputs on the back?

Username: Enderasha

Post Number: 2
I'll check into the digital inputs

What are optical cables? I'm new to audio visual stuff completely

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 655
Jonathan the make and model number of you receiver and TV would help us a lot. And yes a HD cable box would make a big diffrence if you have a HD TV.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3655
Jonathan,

You're a very bit lost! :-)

What you can do depends completely on the models of the units you have.

What Nick says above is generally speaking correct. FYI, optical interconnects are literally fibre-optic cables. The X-Box 360 has an optical connector on the back which is used to transmit the digital audio from the X-Box to the receiver. Of course the receiver has to have an optical input too and we don't know that since we don't know what the units are...

So for the X-Box you'd have one set of cables for the picture and one set for the audio. You can do the same with the DVD player too. Many DVD players have two digital audio outputs, one would be optical and one would be coaxial. The latter (usually shortened to coax) is generally thought of as the better connection. It looks like a standard ordinary interconnect but in fact it is different so if you have coax output on DVD player and input on receiver, then buy yourself a digital interconnect and connect up. DVD players usually have several video outputs - a yellow socket called Composite, a round multipin socket called S-Video and three sockets in red blue and green which will usually be Component.

Some players also have a slim socket not unlike a USB socket which is called HDMI. HDMI combines both video and audio if you wish. You can use the HDMI cable just for video direct into your (similarly equipped) TV, or you can plug it into your (similarly equipped) receiver to 'break out' the audio from the video. Make sure you read the manuals before making any purchasing decisions.

From a DVD point of view, the best audio quality is coax followed by optical and lastly HDMI (highest jitter distortion by a long way). The best picture quality is HDMI followed (very very closely) by component, S-Video and lastly Composite.

You haven't mentioned bluray. Bluray changes things. With bluray you need to use HDMI all the way through in order to carry the Full HD video and high resolution audio signals, but these are only applicable if your receiver can handle them and if your TV can do so too. Otherwise you're better off with lower resolution since you don't want the units doing too much work for no reason.

Hope this helps,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1394
Check this out

http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12436
Missed your post Stof, good to see ya.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1396
Thanks Nuck. Got the new Oppo BD player. It's been keeping me busy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us