Receiver Question

Okay...

I'm a real NEWBIE when it comes to home audio. So here's the stuff I have and want to connect to my reciever...(and I might not need to have all of these...like the cable box I think goes into the HDTV reciever and then that goes to the replay so that might take care of those.)

-Progessive Scan DVD (component out & Digital out)
-Cable Box (regular red-white-yellow)
-HDTV Converter box (component out & Digital)
-X-Box (Can be component and Digital or red-white-yellow)
-PS2 (regular red-white-yellow also digital out)
-GameCube (regular red-white-yellow)
-VCR (regular red-white-yellow)
-Replay (Component & digital)

So here's my question. To hook each component video in do I have to have a compent input or if I use the regualr white-red-yellow and the receiver has a component out does it convert that?

Also any suggestions on a reciever to get would be appriciated! =-)

qdog
At 1st glance, you should be able to rid yourself of either the HD converter box/or cable box..My cable company provides 1 HD cable box that would replace your 2 boxes...

Hawk
Mike:

You are looking in the wrong place. What you need is a switch box. You seem totally captivated by component video connections, but you almost always have to go with the lowest common denominator, which is composite video (yellow RCA plug). You see, there are very few receivers that will "up-convert" video signals, that is, take a composite or S-video signal and transmit it out of the component video jacks. Otherwise, if you have connected the component video from the receiver to the monitor, the receiver will not transmit any signal that is not received as a component video signal.

Then, you also have the problem of how many component video connections do you have? Typically, you will get two component video ins and one out. Occasionally, you will get one with three inputs.

For your application, I only know of one receiver, the Denon 3803, which will up-convert. However, you may prefer to wait a bit for new products to come out this fall and spring, in which there will be more video flexibility.

Otherwise, you need a video switchbox, which can be found for under $200, which will accept up to six component video sources and has a video bandwidth in excess of 100 Mhz.

Hawk
Mike:

You are looking in the wrong place. What you need is a switch box. You seem totally captivated by component video connections, but you almost always have to go with the lowest common denominator, which is composite video (yellow RCA plug). You see, there are very few receivers that will "up-convert" video signals, that is, take a composite or S-video signal and transmit it out of the component video jacks. Otherwise, if you have connected the component video from the receiver to the monitor, the receiver will not transmit any signal that is not received as a component video signal.

Then, you also have the problem of how many component video connections do you have? Typically, you will get two component video ins and one out. Occasionally, you will get one with three inputs.

For your application, I only know of one receiver, the Denon 3803, which will up-convert. However, you may prefer to wait a bit for new products to come out this fall and spring, in which there will be more video flexibility.

Otherwise, you need a video switchbox, which can be found for under $200, which will accept up to six component video sources and has a video bandwidth in excess of 100 Mhz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us