Speaker recs, I'm (almost) starting over

Username: Sundaymanoa

Kaneohe, HI United States

Post Number: 1
Both my Denon DRA-555 and ADS 470 bookshelves went out together (they were 20+ years). I knee-jerked and got another Denon DRA-295 (50W receiver) and have a couple needs for speakers for a discerning music listener. One room is a den (11' x 15') that I'm thinking of M&K LSR55, I'm OK with that decision but am welcoming suggestions. The grand room is my dilemna: (28' x 24' x 10'). Nothing to blast my windows out, but a fullness would be nice. I've read about Mirage. Any takes? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 609
Walton:

For that particular Denon receiver, I highly recommend a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze bookshelfs--I can't remember the model number. Nevertheless, they make an excellent combo as the MA Bronze will really bring out the best of the Denon. If you want to step up a bit, look at the MA Silvers.

Good luck!

AdamVerducc
Unregistered guest
How do these MA Bronzes stack up with their PSB Image series counterparts? The prices on the Images are really falling thanks to the new Image line coming out soon.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Hawk, I'll do it if the right deal comes around.

JVM
Unregistered guest
I think the model number for the Bronze bookshelves is B2.

Unregistered guest
Walton, I'm very familiar with the ADS 420's nice little bookshelf speaker. I sold hundreds of them in the early 1980's. They had a very good designer (Mike Kelley) I believe. He now runs a company called Ariel accoustics. Still a very solid design. Paradigm would be another line i'd recomend listening to and if you can find a dealer in your area, Green Mountain Audio Europa's are absolutely STUNNING for under $900.00 pair. In fact, they destroyed my ADS L-1290's with ease. If you recall, the 1290's were a dual 8.3" woofer, three way design floor stander. Very highly regarded at the time. In fact, both Gramaphone and Telarc used ADS speakers as monitors. You obviously have good ears. Have a listen to the GMA Europa's if you can find them. I think once you pick your jaw off the floor, you'll order a pair. Good listening.

Username: Dgb100

PA

Post Number: 5
Look for used Klipsch Heritage speakers on ebay. You can get Fortes and Chorus for under $1000, will need little power and no sub. You grand room is plenty big for Cornwalls or K-Horns too, in the $1000-$2000 range. For new speakers look at the RF-5 and RF-7. They will more than fill your room, look great (IMO) and are built to literally last your lifetime. I've had both KG4s and Fortes and love them to death.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
The klipsch is best with low power, great sound. Give a listen. Some people say their a little to bright , but I like um

Unregistered guest
Walton, if you liked the ADS sound, you won't be a Klipsh fan. They are ying and yang. But listen to them for your own opinion.

Post Number: 3
Mauimusicman: I agree about the Klipsch's, I felt that they were too bright for my tastes. What I liked and remembered about the (late) ADS' were the clean bass and crisp high-hat sounds it reproduced. I was able to run into a pair of M&K LCR-55s on eBay, I should be hearing them in a few weeks. I hate to buy things without listening first, but being in Hawaii with very limited brands on the either very high end or low end... I've found the Forum here on ecoustics to be very beneficial once you've learned how to take some readers into account, not necessarily on this thread but on others. Try reading some threads about speaker and interconnect cables - Yikes! Thanks for the reply.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us