Thinking of Upgrading Pioneer receiver SX-251R

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 12
I purchased my receiver in 1993 and it has been pretty good for me. It was truly my first receiver. I use an AudioSource equalizer to get more punch from the receiver. As a matter of fact, I've always used the ASE to get more punch either when I used 12" 3 way speakers, or the ones I currently have attached to the receiver.

I currently run two 3 way floor 15" Technics speakers that were purchased during the 80's. The combo still kicks butt, but I was wondering if there is a powerful receiver that can deliver the punch for two 3 way speakers that also have a nice equalizer incorporated into it like the good ole days?

Are manufacturers only concerned about home theater surround systems, or do they have a way for folks like me to get a brand new receiver with more punch to kick around a couple of 3 way floor speakers? If such receivers exist, what are the options these days?

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 192
check out the harman kardon H/K 3485 receiver, it doesnt have a built in EQ but it kicks out some good clean power. with this receiver there would be no need for an EQ. go and take a listen.

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 13
Thanks, Shawn. Another thread about the HK 3485 is actually what prompted my question. I tried a new Pioneer receiver purchased at Circuit City, but it didn't have adequate punch better than the old receiver with EQ. I will admit that I never checked the specs...so I guess that's what I get for just getting something w/o due dilligence. I will check out the specs of the HK and do some research this time around. Thanks for the input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us