Running 4 speakers

Username: Rickjt62

Post Number: 1
Hi (:

I'm new here so this topic has probably been covered somewhere in the archives on many occasions

However, I am running four Mission (pair of M33i & pair of M73i) off a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R V2 amplifier - even at a reasonable volume, I am finding that the amp is clipping out

Short of buying new speakers (which is a possibility), how can I avoid this?

I am aware of the ohmage being halved when using four speakers but my knowledge is limited as to how to resolve the issue

Thanks
Rick

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11989

What's "reasonable Volume"?

And how do you know the amp is "clipping"?

Username: Rickjt62

Post Number: 2
12 o'clock on the dial ... it just shut's off!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9556
That ain't clipping, it is life saver shutdown.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12001

It would be unusual for an amplifier to clip with the vc at 12 O'Clock. If you have tone controls cranked to the max or you are feeding extremely heavy bass content from your source, then the vc position will be of no real consequence. What sort of music content are you playing at this volume?

I assume this takes awhile to occur. Do you have sufficient air flow and ventilation around and through the amplifier?

You'll need to find a measurement of the impedance curve and electrical phase angle of the speakers. The combined impedance will be half of the lowest impedance pair. Two eight Ohm speakers connected in parallel will be four Ohms for the amplifier. Four Ohms at high volumes is not easy on most mid priced gear. If the impedance dips lower than four Ohms for the combined load, you are simply asking too much of the amplifier. If the electrical phase angle has a large inductive or capacitive component, particularly at the same frequency range as a low impedance point, the amplifier is not capable of supplying sufficient current into the laod and is shutting down to 1) save itself and 2) give you a big dope slap upside the head.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us