Psb image or kef

Bronze Member
Username: Deepak

Post Number: 11
hi, im looking to get a 5.1 system. i have heard the KEF with my Onkyo receiver sr803. i have also heard the PSB image, but with the NAD. the NAD and PSB combo was connected with Supra speaker wiring. i did not quite like this combition, My question how will the PSB sound with my Onkyo receiver. I also have QED xture 350 wires for the front. how will the PSB sound with the Onkyo and QEDs. thankyou

Bronze Member
Username: Baldeagle

Michigan USA

Post Number: 47
I've heard that Onkyos heat up a lot more than say a Marantz or Denon or Rotel. Now if you couple that with a speaker system with a lower rated (4ohm-6ohm) impedance than the typical 8ohm, I suspect that requires more power from the receiver. Which probably explains why the PSB dealer was showing off the PSBs with the NAD receivers.

Regards
Eagle

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 726
What was it about the NAD/PSB combination you didn't like? They both share the same parent company and most folks seem to think they sound pretty nice together.

I have not heard the Onkyo/PSB together, possibly for the reason Eagle describes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i guess the sound clarity was not according to what i wanted. it was almost like listening to music or movies with ur hands on ur hears. too laid back. thanks for the comments. my onkyo does not have power problem due to its wide range amp. it is now powering my 901 bose and with my harmonic tech speaker cable and qed interconnect the combination sounds good. im now interested in a 5.1 setup.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9060
dk, if you run those PSB's with that Onkyo with 5 speakers, you will not like the smell of the receiver or the sudden silence when it shuts down.
I promise.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 371
That's interesting that you don't like the PSB/NAD combination. It just goes to show that this hobby is all about personal preference and what "sounds good" to you. I have pair of PSB speakers which I love. I've even run them through my NAD amp it sounded pretty darned good to me. I'll agree with ya on the "laid back" sound, but I happen to like that in the case of my PSBs.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2224
"my onkyo does not have power problem due to its wide range amp."

Onkyo is notorious for overinflating their power specs.

Most PSB Images are 6 ohm nominal impedence, and 4 ohm minimum. PSB is very good with providing accurate specs.

If you like how your Onkyo and Bose speakers sound, why not get get a enough 901s to make a 5.1 system?

The reason why the PSB/NAD combo may not sound as clear as your current gear is because Bose and Onkyo both bump up the high frequency in their gear to give the illusion of increased clarity. Its artifical clarity. NAD and PSB don't alter the signal nearly as much, and therefore sound much more natural. Its truer to the source than emphasizing certain frequency ranges over others.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 661
I totally agree with Stu, David and Nuck on this. Onkyo products as well as Bose products add a lot of crap "color" to the sound. PSB and NAD try to keep the soundtrack very close to it's original recording. Very Natural as Stu stated. The Onkyo will puke under the PSB load. I honestly can say I have heard the PSB/NAD combo a few times, and thought it sounded great every time I heard it. But to each their own.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
then how come, when i watch movies the dynamic sound is quite loud. the sherwood newcastle also has the wide rage amp just like the onkyo sr803, the only difference is that sherwood is nonbright and the onkyo is bright. the reason i need a new 5.1 is because i would like to use it with a digital connection. right now my using analogue. but if power is the problem then i need a power amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9069
Actually, dk, if power seems to be the problem, you may need more sensitive speakers.
Waaay cheaper and easier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
maybe they should shut down Onkyo or maybe NAD should take over. please elaborate on ur sensitive way cheaper. and maybe be all of u should get a life

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 727
Well, that'll get you a lot of help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
one last question can the onkyo power the kefs iq5. or what can the onkyo power,pubic hair?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 379
Wow, what's up with the hostility?

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 81
what can the onkyo power,pubic hair?

I suppose, if it wasn't grounded properly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9097
dk, it's called valium.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
acid
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help