No phono input on receiver - can I still connect turntable somehow?

Username: Vinylrules

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 1
OK, I'm a newbie here, and though I listen almost exclusively to vinyl, I'm not necessarily an "audiophile", so I apologize if this is a dumb question...BUT...i just acquired an old Marantz SR-880 off of craigslist for $100 that works fine, except for the fact that there's no phono input. I did research on the net before picking it up and was sure that this model had one, otherwise I would've gone with something else. I don't know how I didn't notice it when I picked it up.

My question is - can I still hook up my turntable to it? I actually tried to input it into the Tape 2 input, and even grounded it to the receiver, but it didn't work (there was output, but at a very low level, with next to no bass). Everything else (CD, DVD, etc.) works great.

Any suggestions? Or am I just screwed?

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 125
You need a phono stage. Apparently, your receiver doesn't have one. You can purchase one as a seperate unit. Lots of options.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5572
You need to buy a phono preamp. You can get a pretty decent one for very little money however it's obvious you were looking for an economical solution hence the CL Marantz. NAD and ProJect make phono stages for a little over $100. Just connect your turntable to in and it to the aux or tape in. Here are some less expensive options however I don't know how they sound, at least the NAD and ProJect sound pretty good. Would help to know what your table is.

http://www.phonopreamps.com/

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps?range=51%2C63%2C63

Username: Zoney99

Post Number: 3
LOL vinyl does rule, sorta. You have no problem, there are many inexpensive, competent phono preamps for <$100. Shop the internet for best prices - you'll notice how prices vary from one site to the other and then you will have fun. Need some RCA cables to complete the deal. Life is good now!

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 2
Thank you all for your responses! I actually did a search online and found out that's exactly what I needed. I'd never even heard of these - it's just the first time I've had a receiver without a phono input so it's never been an issue before. Good to know!

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 3
Art - thanks for the links - I will check out needle doctor since that's where i got my turntable a few years ago (old Stanton STR8-20).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5576
Our pleasure VR....and it does rule!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Funkmeister

Post Number: 12
"My question is - can I still hook up my turntable to it? I actually tried to input it into the Tape 2 input, and even grounded it to the receiver, but it didn't work (there was output, but at a very low level, with next to no bass)."

Think you just answered your own question. See Art's reply for a specific solution. His take on the rule of vinyl is, like many things in the audio world, debateable. There are those who would maintain a similar position about CD's.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5578
It was for fun JW, I'm sure VR has his own opinions relative to vinyl and cd's. Just thought I'd have a little fun with his cool name.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Art, I'm looking for an excellent vinyl copy of Grant Green's Idle Moments lp. Any suggestions?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5623
I only buy used so it's just by luck when I find great vinyl. Hopefully you check some of the websites like Sonic Recollections in Portland...very honest ratings and fast service. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Yeah, I have checked out several sites but not the one you have suggested. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us