Small room speakers...any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Bluepopcicle

Post Number: 11
hey all...i've been looking to get myself a set of smaller book shelf sized speakers to hook up to the the computer. i've been looking at studio monitors. with the amp all built in. but i'm not sure if they would suit right for my application, as i'm not really intending on mixing anything. but i figure that if the speakers are good enough to make the final cut of a cd then they should have a good sound when just being used to playback music. i'm looking in the 200-300 dollar range.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11100

And what have you found in that price range?

Username: Timjones

Moscow, Idaho USA

Post Number: 1
I'm completely out of my realm here and I don't intend to hijack someone's thread but don't know how to pose a question any other way. Please forgive me in advance.

I've ended up with several sets of computer speakers (my school dumped them when they upgraded and I dumpster dived for them) and I was wondering if I can hook them up to my home stereo amplifier (without involving a computer) and listen to my LP collection? All of my internet queries yielded ways to use my home stereo speakers on the computer but not the other way around which (cheap bast*** that I am) is what I want to do. Any ideas?

Tim Jones

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11108

TJ - When you are on the opening page of any portion of the forum, say, "Speakers", just above the list of thread titles, you will see "Start a New Thread". Click on it and ask your question on a new thread.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
the only ones i've found so far are the krk rokit series.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 810
Have you looked at the Swan M200 or NHT M-00 (two zero's) if you are looking at high quality powered speakers? These two are what many feel are decent quality.

I would also take a look at the Alesis lineup.

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/productdetails.aspx?item=36-136-102

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTM00

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8317
Atta Boy Gavin.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11113

Gavin - What are you responding to? Read TJ's post again.

Alex - I'm afraid your question is simply too broad. Are you really expecting us to select a pair of speakers for you? There are an awful lot of speakers that sell for less than $300. What do you want? What can you possibly buy?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i understand that there are many speakers out there. and thats why i was asking for your advice, since people on this message board seem very knowlagable about speakers. i was expecting you to just pick out a pair of speakers for me. i'm looking for a pair of smaller bookshelf sized speakers that will deliver a full and rich sound for a resonable price. does anyone here have any experience with using studio monitors for just listening to music rather than for mixing soundtracks? that is really my question. i know that studio monitors are designed to provide a sound that isn't colored in anyway. they are designed to bring out the mistakes so to speak in songs. and this is what makes me think that they wont be approriate for what i want to use them for, which is primarily just to listen to music on.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 811
I was responding to Alex's post.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 812
Alex, I have briefly used tannoy reveal 5's for that but they do just that...

they will reveal everything to you, good and bad, like a studio monitor should.

IMHO, studio monitors are not the best bet for music listening.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11118

"i know that studio monitors are designed to provide a sound that isn't colored in anyway."

What cornflake box you been reading, alex? Most "monitors" are very colored. They are meant for a purpose and that purpose usually isn't "full and rich sound for a resonable price". You've either got to give us more to go on or just go buy some Paradigms pr PSB's. Pick up a copy of Stereophile and Absolute Sound to get some ideas of what's available in your price range.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 262
Jan is right, need more info.

Did I hear Paradigms?? 289 CDN for the Atoms.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11119

Yeah, but the Atom is about as far away from "full and rich" as I can imagine in a half way decent speaker.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
LOL perhaps. The new Atom V5 is actually not too bad. But full?? Rich?? ahh probably not. What about a entry Monitor Audio Bookshelf. He wants full and rich....for 300 dollars...hmmmm. I will leave this one alone.

Jan, all yours.lol.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11122

At the moment ... I got nothin'.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11123

Scrape up a few more bucks and try these; http://www.nsmaudio.com/brochures/5broc.html

http://www.nsmaudio.com/brochures/clearance-sale.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 8328
alex, look into PSB Alpha's as well, if you can give them a listen.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 223
I've got both the Atoms and the PSB Alpha's. They're both pretty darned good in my opinion (provided we're talking about the Atom V5). The PSBs are more "full" sounding though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
Yeah, I thought the Atoms were actually pretty damn good considering the price. I was amazed by the sound those little buggers can produce.

Username: Glutineous

Post Number: 1
It sounds as if you missed this bit, Jan: "i've been looking at studio monitors. with the amp all built in." I read this as specifying he wants not passive bookshelf speakers but active reference monitors. Thus the Alesis rec. seems a good one; Tannoy Reveals might only be useful if he bought the active kind, which are a wee Hank more expensive. Besides, Reveals tend to suffer a bit from relaxed highs, don't you think?

As for the OP's speakers having to be "full and rich," I'd question the description before the recommendations, given the other prerequisites of the OP. He sounds as if he's trying to make sense of second-hand advice telling him to buy active reference monitors, and isn't yet able to describe his reasons for preferring the reference monitors he's heard in conventionally understood terms. After all, ref. monitors certainly sound "full and rich" when compared to throwaway computer or home theater speakers.

On the other hand, someone could easily accuse me of trying to be clairvoyant in my interpretation and I wouldn't really argue with that:-- it's true we can't be certain what he means.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9209
Full and rich sounds like a FRSD speaker to me.

Username: Glutineous

Post Number: 2
Link, mayhaps?

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 104
I'd be suprised if you could get any active monitors for under $300, except used perhaps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us