DJ amp causes home speakers to knock? newbie help!

Username: Sammydabulllll

Pontiac, IL US

Post Number: 1
First post here sorry if i come off as ignorant!

I have a pawn shop special home system with a Pioneer Receiver (VSX - D811S); Pioneer 50 Disc CD Changer (PD - F407) and 6 assorted brand 3 way floor speakers (4 - 12"; 2 15"; all mint condition just lightly scratched or nicked finish of the cabinets) that I picked up for free from a friend of mine who supplies entertainment equipment for bars and pool halls and such...

I used to have a 300 watt kenwood amp driving all the speakers and could swing all of them to EYE BLEEDING loud. It was second hand and when it finally blew i went on ebay and bought a brand new professional dj amp. (GLI Pro XA 8800)

Here's a link:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=glixa8800&store=&catid=4091

[edit: if that doesn't work, just google "GLI PRO 8800]

(not a huge catastrophe either way cuz I paid way less on auction)

BUT!: when i got everything hooked up It sounds good, but when I turn the system up to a certain point... (that point being way quieter than what I used to push the system to with the old dinosaur kenwood) The woofers "knock". I am talking about volumes that are ok, but i used to make the woofers damn near swing out of the boxes with the old amp, but with this newer, more powerful professional model the speakers barely hit midway what I used to get out of them before the woofers sound like they're bottoming out.

I have been an audio enthusiast for 10 years, and a middle class funded hobbyist for at least 5 years, I have never ran into this problem before, and I know what speakers sound like bottoming out, but these babies are barely movin before I have to turn shiit down.

BTW... The amp has independent channel output controls (as seen in the pic on that link above) but even tinkering to find the optimum balance between receiver and amplifier output yields little benefit.

Help Please!

Thanx All!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8832
Slammin' Sammy, not all pro stuff delivers as advertised. Surprise!
Reviews could have come in for very high efficiency speakers, yours may not be.
Plug the old one in again.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 532
Could it be possibly Clipping?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5422
I believe the old one is dead Nuck. Sounds like you wore out the old Kenwood and probably the speakers as well. Could be clipping...or simply has more current (don't know, didn't look it up) and exposing your wore out speakers, who knows.

Sounds like Cerwin Vega's are in order. They make alot of noise.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8854
The old one drove them OK, guys, the new amp is having issues.
The new amp is not up to the task, I fuggure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8855
Slammin' Sammy, your new amp may not like the speaker wire you are running. Have you had a look at the runs?
We have lots of ideas on speaker runs...

Is the amp getting so hot?
Remember, pro stuff is made to use balanced connections first, this may also be a point of contention.

Pontiac, IL US

Post Number: 2
Im usin 14 guage speaker wire. It aint that old, just rearranged the front room a few months ago and re-stripped the connections.

The old amp is toast. It was getting too hot for a while before it popped in a little poof of smoke. This new one has fans in it and it doesn't even get warm. It's got plenty of cahunas, I still got 2/3 of the dials left on the amp and dont have to turn the reciever up that far.

As far as the amp exposing the worn out speakers, I thought of that, but the problem was not a gradual onset, but an instantaneous thing. Everything worked like a charm even at extremely high volume right up till the minute the old amp blew; got the new one about 2 weeks later, hooked it up and discovered that the subs start to knock when they aren't even traveling half what they used to.

Pontiac, IL US

Post Number: 3
I should also point out that the "knock" doesn't sound like distortion at all. the sound is actually crystal clear, but the knock in the subs is very noticeable.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 785
Is it possible the amp took out a couple of speaker drivers as it imploded?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5426
That's my suspicion Mike.

Pontiac, IL US

Post Number: 4
never ran into that before. so another possibly ignorant question : )

Would destroyed drivers be detectable at lower volumes? what does that sound like?

keep in mind that I can take all 6 speakers to pretty good volume with great response and clarity just a lot less than I used to with an amp about 10 years old and about 1/12th the peak power of this brand new one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8880
Sammy, that amp is clipping, in a hard way.
Should have popped tweeters by now.

That's the take from my chair here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us