Best phono Stage stage for heavy rock

Username: Sambarock

NYC, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Hey there.

I need some help finding a very good phono stage for my new stereo.

Recently I got a KAB Technics 1200 fully loaded with a Shure V15VxMR.
It does give a pretty impressive sound with Marrantz PM94, but now I'm in process of upgrading my amps. I still debating which to get(Mc MA6500 perhaps?).
But I know for sure I need a really good phono preamp to extract the most out of this MM cartridge.

The twist on all this is that I collect mostly obscure punk rock and metal records. Mostly poorly recorded.

I need a setup that can give the right punch to music without getting too muddy (the records are already muddy )

My budget for Amps and Phono is $3700 (another $800 for Speakers)

Any suggestions/ tips/ comments are very welcome!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11128

Did you think we'd miss this one in the "Amps" section? Buy an integrated amplifier with a good phono section.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2313
I suggest a Rega Cursa preamp with built-in MM phono stage and separate Maia stereo power amp or Exxon monoblocks. Good amp, great sound, particularly with rock. Match with a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42s or Totem Dreamcatchers.

Naim Audio make good amps that suit too. Naim's entry level integrated, the Nait 5i, would be about $1500. Add their Stageline N phono stage ($600?) and iSupply power supply ($200) or better yet Flatcap2x power supply ($1100) to power the phono stage (yes, really) and that would be a nice combination. Alternatively you could go for Naim's entry level pre/power the 122x/150x with the Stageline N powere by the preamp. That'd be around $3600 or so and you could improve it later down the line with the external Flatcap2x power supply to power both the phono stage and preamp separately. Consider the same speakers I mentioned earlier, though you may want to consider something a bit better if you can stretch to it.

Another fine phono stage is the Dynavector P75MkII. This is MM/MC switchable and is a very fine piece of kit for around $1000. Add your choice of amp later.

Another great phono stage is the Tom Evans Microgroove ($800ish) and Microgroove+ ($1700ish) which are either MC or MM only. You can't change an MM to an MC Microgroove or vice versa since it means a new board effectively. You can upgrade the Microgroove to the Microgroove+ which basically changes the power supply voltage regulation in the unit.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us