New phono stage what can one expect.....

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 109
currently using the PM-01(cambridge "card")installed in my cambridge AZUR 540A(v1)
i am considering "upgrading" to the cambridge 640P
my TT is pro-ject debut lll w/orotfon OM 10.
speakers are PSB image B25
just curious what if any difference i can expect.
or what other phono stage up to $200 would be recommended.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11160

An upgraded unit should sound better. What you will hear is not something I can predict, I have no idea what you listen for and what you value. There will quite probably be things the "better" piece accomplishes that you will never hear yet another listener might pick up on quite easily.

If you can find a Bellari tube unit for your price, I would opt for that piece.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2322
I have no experience of the CA so bear this in mind. Be that as it may, if the CA is even half as good as it should be, I would consider your cartridge to be the weakest point in this scenario. As Jan knows, I am no lover of the OM cartridge series. The Debut is a pretty basic deck but even it can cope with a better cartridge than the OM, such as the new Ortofon 2m series, the Goldring 2000 series, or Grado Prestige series. The best would be to consider a better record deck such as a ProJect 1Xpression, Rega P2 or P3-24 and once the source is that good, you can consider an external phono stage.

A decent external phono stage such as a Tom Evans Microgroove or Dynavector P75 MkII brings about all the kinds of improvements one gets from any better amplifier such as loads more information, lower noise, better contrast.

Regards,
frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2075
I'm in agreement with what's been previously stated.

I don't think an external stage around $200 is really going to bring any improvement. It may be different, maybe even a good different, but not an overall better move.

While I'm not 100% sure, I believe the phono card in your integrated is the same as in the Cambridge seperate phono stage. The seperate unit will have an out-board power supply, most likely a wall-wart, which will theoretically and most likely lower the noise floor a little, but how much? Keep in mind that the Cambridge phono pre-amp is reportedly a very good value for the money. For $200, that would be one of my top suggestions.

If you can afford a better turntable, I'd go that route before the phono stage. If you can't, get a better cartridge. These will give you far better overall improvements than a new phono stage will in my opinion and experience. As it stands, your cartridge is the weakest link. It won't get any better than the cartridge will let it get.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2076
Spend the $200 or even a bit less on a Grado, Goldring, or non-OM Ortofon cartridge.

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 110
thanks you guys!sound advise(pun intended).i will look into a new cartridge or a new TT.
once again thanks.i tend to be brand loyal,and have had no complaints with the pro-ject TT so will most likely look at their offerings.
but first will consider a new and improved cartridge in the near future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us