Help with Kenwood VR6070 hook-up

Hi, great board.

Today is my birthday and my wife gave me a Kenwood VR6070 along with JBL SCS150 speakers (she has been reading this board) for a gift.

I have several quesions. I have no idea how to hook this whole system up. I never had a receiver or speakers before. I have read all the posting,but, I am confussed. Please help!!!!!!

This is what I have. VR6070 receiver, JBL SCS150 speakers, Toshiba SD5700 DVD player, Zenith VRA424 4head hi-fi VCR and a Sharp 27" stereo tv.

1. Are the speaker wires that came with the JBL's good enough or do I need to upgrade.
2. What other cables do I need.
3. What do I hook up to what.
4. Is there a web site that can help me with this.

Please Help me.

Well the manual that came with the reciever will help you some.. though i know its not reall clear at all.

First we need to know what connections in's and out's ya have on that 27" Sharp tv. Like RCA s-video and componant video which i doubt. Then we can go from there.

Oh and... nice WIFE YA GOT THERE! Lucky guy! hehe.

Oh yeah we will need to know the connections from your other stuff like the DVD player ect.

Actually, I thought the manual wasn't too bad; but reading the rather lengthy posts here https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/624.html regarding the VR-6070 (...sit back with a cup of coffee or two for an hour or two ) cleared up a lot of things. To answer your questions as best I can:

1. I think the wires that came with the SCS150 are just fine; but others may recommend thicker wire be used.

2. Possibly just the cable that came tith your equipment. Of note, the DVD player will need to use either the digital coaxial or optical out for sound, so that the Dolby or DTS encoding will be used. As for video, as stated above, I think we need to know more about your outputs available from the sources to make a recommendation.

3. See #2 above. :)

4. Check the manual first, then you can ask here, and the Dolby & DTS web sites have good info, too.

Congratulations on your excellent gift, and kudos to your wife for the foresight. ;-)

Yeah great wife! Just think, if all wives were like that there would be less devorce and more happy couples :)

Nico,

I have a very similar setup to yours with the Kenwood VR-6070 receiver and JBLSCS150 speakers. I am also pretty new to all this stuff and found the manual and the postings on this forum a little confusing. I also found that some very knowledgable posters seem to have conflicting views on how things should be setup. Below I've listed my components, connections and settings.

components:
... satellite tv receiver/recorder
... vcr
... Sony tv with these connections:
...... video-1 (svideo)
...... video-3 (composite - red/white audio & yellow video rca jacks)
... no dvd player (may hold out until dvd recorder prices come down)
... JBL SCS150
...... 250' of 14 gauge wire from Home Depot for $36 (one run was longer than provided wire)

connections:
... sat composite output => tv's video 3 composite input
...... allows option of watching tv without vr-6070 being on
... sat svideo output => vr-6070's video 3 input
... sat optical digital audio output => vr-6070's video 3 optical digital input
... vr-6070's monitor svideo output => tv's svideo 1 input
... vcr's svideo output & composite audio outputs => vr-6070's video 1 play inputs
... vcr's svideo input & composite audio inputs => vr-600's video 1 rec(ord) outputs
... JBLSCS150 => vr-6070 connections
...... vr-6070's pre out subwoofer => subwoofer's LFE input -- 12' rca audio cable
...... vr-6070's front, center & surrouds 8-16 ohm outputs to the JBL satellites

vr-6070 menu settings:
... 6ch AMP OFF; SUBW ON; FRNT NML/THX; CNTR NML/THX; SURR NML/THX;
... SB NML/THX; SURR: MIX OFF; SW RE-MIX ON

This setup works for me. I get base through the subwoofer and overall the sound is pretty good. I'm always playing around with the vr-6070's sound controls like listen mode, input mode, dsp mode, active eq and speaker eq. The sound attributes are definitely effected by these controls, but I'm never sure which combinations sound better.

I used 14 gauge speaker wire; but I'm pretty sure that's overkill for these speakers. The supplied wire will probably work fine.

Anonymous
hows. the s-video quality going thru the receiver? any ghosting, streaking?

The quality is quite good. In fact, I like the picture better when it goes through the receiver with svideo than straight from the satellite receiver using composite.

The S-video looks just as good as if i had it hooked straight to the tv.

Anonymous
Thanks for all the good advices which help convince me to buy this Kenwood VR-6070. I have not much problem to set the system up, but I have one question: Where is the FM antena connected to?

Which settings should you use if your primary usage is watching movies in 5.1?

Tom Grant
Can anyone tell me if the multi-room capability on the Kenwood VR-6070 enables you to play two sources at the same time (e.g., TV in one room while a CD is playing in the second room?)

Anonymous
HELP ,HELP

I HAVE A KENWOOD VR6070 RECEIVER , HAD IT FOR TWO MONTH , I JUST BOUGHT NEW SPEAKERS AND HOOK THEM UP AND THE RECEIVER MADE A LOUD POP , I KNOW I HOK UP THE SPEAKER CORRECTLY , I HAVE BIC 62 SURROUND SPEAKERS AND BIC DV5312 TOWER SPEAKERS BIC 62 CENTER AND SURROUND SPEAKER , THE MACHINE IS DEAD CAN ANYONE HELP

HELP ,HELP

I HAVE A KENWOOD VR6070 RECEIVER , HAD IT FOR TWO MONTH , I JUST BOUGHT NEW SPEAKERS AND HOOK THEM UP AND THE RECEIVER MADE A LOUD POP , I KNOW I HOOK UP THE SPEAKER CORRECTLY , I HAVE BIC 62 SURROUND SPEAKERS AND BIC DV5312 TOWER SPEAKERS BIC 62 CENTER AND SURROUND SPEAKER , THE MACHINE IS DEAD CAN ANYONE HELP
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us