Need help selecting receiver that will drive 7.1 4ohm speakers...

Username: Mnawalters

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have a 7.2 set-up as follows:
7-LC265i Polk in-wall speakers(4 ohms).
2-Klipsch 12" subs.

I started with a Yamaha receiver and it kept kicking out on power safe mode. I read they are only good for 6-8ohms so I switched to a Sony ES receiver that stated it could handle the 4 ohms, but it kicked out as well.

I went to a Home Theater store and they recommended a Denon 3806 wich I purchased - this one worked down to -20Db, but then kicked out anything louder than that. I also read on the back it states 6-8 ohms. So now I am going to take back and get a receiver that at least states it can handle the 4 ohms.

Does anyone know of a good receiver that can drive 4 ohms at higher volumes? Anyone have a set-up similar to this?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4311
Mike, you could very well be into the neighborhood of an integrated amp or seperates.
If you must run low impedence speakers(impedence being only one factor in powering speakers) something more robust might be in order.
If you take a look at outlawaudio.com, you will find very robust stuff.

Nad can drive difficult loads wery well also.
Their receivers have been suspect from time to time, as being a bit noisy, everything else is beyond reproach. And well priced.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4312
wery would be 'very', if I weren't Elmer Fudd.

Damm edit function!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11276
I can vouch for the Outlaw Audio and NAD as well. They are well suited at driving difficult loads and are more than adequate at handling 4 Ohm loads.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us