Acoustic Energy AE1 Classics & Aelite 3 with Exposure

Username: Brucer

Post Number: 1
I have:
Source: Audio Alchemy Dac-in-a-Box + DDS III Transport
Amp: Exposure VI+VII Pre + IV Power with Exposure upgrades

Music preference: Soulful house, electronica i.e. music with plenty electronic bass (means low frequencies often feature prominently) along with powerful big black mamma vocals and hi-hats/cymbols.

I have a choice between AE1 Classics or Aelite 3s (no others).
I could add an Aelite Sub to either.

Questions: AE1 Classics are 'iconic' per se. Mini-monitors so not going to earth shattering bass, but it is tightly controlled which I'd rather have than more but sloppy. Source/amp provides a well controlled bass signal for them to work from. Some questions about quirkiness of AE1s with rest of system. But Exposure say amp best with relatively simple speakers (e.g. not lots of drivers, complex crossovers etc). So, given that I'm not a bass-head wanting to shake the floors just like type of music that has a strong bass component and want it faithfully reproduced and have system that should deliver it, will AE1 Classics deliver this? If not, will adding an Aelite sub 'fill that void', be 'balanced', and will it work i.e. not many input/outputs on Exposure.
Alternative to go with Aelite 3s which also have maintained very good reviews as midfi floorstanders which are a more appropriate speaker type for my objective, but not as 'good' i.e. high end as AE1s hence my questions really are would AE1s be over-specced for rest of system and show its defficiencies (although I find Audio Alchemy + Exposure combination difficult to beat for my music preference at anything like the price point it would be today), is AE1s with Sub a good way of supplementing the bass 'weakness' of AE1s whilst retaining the pro-ref. quality in total giving a better result than Aelite 3s. Note that the price I will pay will mean that whichever route I choose will be better than anything else I could get for the money.

All views and ideally relevant experience welcome. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us