Infinity Kappa 8

Username: Smpl

DunedinNew Zealand

Post Number: 1
Hey all. This is my first post and I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

I own a pair of Infinity Kappa 8's probably bought in the early 90's. Recently I blew the sub of a speaker. Ouch.

I need help deciding where to go from here ie where to buy a new sub, how to install it and costs. I would also appreciate some advice on my audio system (I'm not that knowledgable and it would be useful to know if i have the right equipment). alternatively if i find replacement is not feasible, help on how to sell them and what price to expect.

Any help would be appreciated...

Regards

Brian

System Specs:
Power amp:
NAD 216THX
Preamp
NAD 106

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7543
Budget? We could give you all kinds of suggestions and the corresponding cost, however, it is better if we know how much you have to work with.

DunedinNew Zealand

Post Number: 2
thanks for your reply Berny. I'm a student, does that answer the question? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7545
Some students have more money than others.

DunedinNew Zealand

Post Number: 3
it's not really a question of money. i will have to spend what i can to get a working sound system again. whether the solution being replacing the speaker or selling what i have and buying a new one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7549
Keep the NAD equipment. Save for a new set of speakers.

DunedinNew Zealand

Post Number: 4
Would an explanation be too much to ask?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7559
The NAD equipment that you currently have are great sounding and exceptionally well made. It would be a shame if you sell them and end up getting something less.

So I recommended that you keep them and save for new speakers. You do not gain anything by selling great equipment so you can get new crappy stuff.

Did you buy the NAD or was it given to you?

DunedinNew Zealand

Post Number: 5
The pre amp and the speakers were given to me, along with some other power amps that died. i bought the power amp. was told i actually needed two of them but one would do the job.

what about the option of replacing the sub? right now i am running both speakers without the one sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7567
Replacing the sub would be an even better option, if you can keep the other speakers.

DunedinNew Zealand

Post Number: 6
keep what other speakers? one of the subs of one of the speakers is finished. of course i can keep them. the point of this post was:

I need help deciding where to go from here ie where to buy a new sub, how to install it and costs. I would also appreciate some advice on my audio system (I'm not that knowledgable and it would be useful to know if i have the right equipment). alternatively if i find replacement is not feasible, help on how to sell them and what price to expect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7568
The first thing that you ned to do, being in New Zealand is to find out if you can even find a replacement subwoofer. If not, you need to save for a new set. I don't know what the market would be like in your area, but, there is little to no demand on broken Infinity speakers.

You listed an amp and a pre-amp... are these 2 working at all? If they are...then you really need nothing else but a new set of speakers.

DunedinNew Zealand

Post Number: 7
yes but surely it's worth investigating buying subwoofers from overseas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us