What amp to match existing system?

Username: Kosta27

Seattle

Post Number: 2
Hello everyone, This is my first post in the amps group. I am currently searching for either a pre/pro & amp combo or a receiver that would be a suitable match with my existing equipment. My system consists of a Sony DVP-NS900V dvd/sacd/cd player, (think poor man's 999es) Mission speakers (UK) 780s (main), 771e (surround) 77c (center) and an Energy 10.2 sub. For those not familiar with Mission, their drivers employ the same quasi phase plug design as found on Audioholics' high rated RBH Limited 61-LSE (with the same performance requirements for their electronics). My preferences in sound quality would lean towards that of the new Cambridge Audio Azur 640A integrated amp rather than brighter systems. Where would the line be drawn for considering hopeful candidates?

Username: Bezel

Post Number: 7
Hey,

What is your goal - movies or stereo?

Seattle

Post Number: 4
50/50 for music and movies 5.1, no need for any additional channels or window shattering sound levels. Just like as one once said, it's not how fast you go, it's how well you go fast. ...er, well in this case sound;)

Post Number: 10
ok.
50/50 is enough to think serious about receiver, not stereo only.
I personaly have Mission 783 speakers (stereo setup only, so I know this sound :-)
I can suggest you Rotel receiver (choose a model depending of your budget) - it will give you "suitable" quality in stereo and very good surround.
Of course the best way is to listen yourselves :-)

Do not go with Onkio for your Mission (at least less then 70x model) - you will get poor bass and not a good stereo sound.

P.S. Don't forget that's all above is IMHO!

Seattle

Post Number: 5
Bezel,
I am considering using a dedicated amp for stereo with an A/V receiver setup, do you see any drawbacks?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
No, it's a good choice. I did not think you are going this way, because it's expensive to have both of them :-)

At the same time it depends of the budget you gonna spend. If you want to get receiver for $1k (jsut for example) and amp for $1k, then it may sence to get just one good receiver for $2k... or may be not :-)

Anyway - what is your budget for receiver and amp?

Seattle

Post Number: 7
I would perfer to spend around $1000 total, but will spend more not to undercut profomance. I became a fan of Rotel's rsx-1055 when I heard it with Dynaudio speakers and was now waiting for the 1056. How high do you reqard Mission's stereo sound with a Rotel amp or rcvr? I'm thinking that maybe Pioneer Elite's laid back sound suite the somewhat foward mission sound. That leads me to considering a "bright/detailed" HT receiver paired up with a "warm/controlled" amp for stereo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I think Rotel 1055/1056 is more then enough for your system.
BTW - instead of getting receiver and amp I can suggest you to get just a receiver and upgrade your front speakers to Mission 782/783 - it will be much more effect in stereo then a good amp...

BK
Unregistered guest
I'm trying to add a stereo system to my current home theatre system. I want to get an integrated amplifier and cd player. I already have a pair of Infinity Kappa 80 speakers - 4ohms,89db 25-250W.

My room is large 20ft by 16ft with a very high ceiling - 30ft. But I'm only looking for a budget set-up, eg NAD, Rotel, Marantz, Cambridge Audio etc. Please advice.

BK

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
BK

I can suggest to take a look into these setups:

NAD
- NAD CD 541i (CD player)
- NAD 320 or 350 BBE (int. amp)

Rotel #1
- Rotel RA-02
- Rotel RCD-02

Rotel #2 (used)
- Rotel RCD-971
- Rotel RA-971 (or 980)

IMHO Rotel #2 setup is a best in this list.

HT
Unregistered guest
What is the better match receiver for my jmlab chorus 710 speaker. I am currently consider nad T742, cambridge audio azur 540R or Marantz SR6300. I am using it for 50% music & 50% movie.
My budget is about $600.
Hawk, from reading your receiver recommendations for jmlab on this forum, I am confused on what your decision on nad pair with jmlab speaker. Is it a good match or not?. I like the nad T742 mainly because of the price ($400)and good sound. I haven't audition on all the receivers above. I only had opportunity to audition rotel with B&W 602(I like it) and B&K with B&W 602 (marginal). For HK, I am not really impress with the sound, I did it in circuit city.
Thanks

HT
Unregistered guest
What is the better match receiver for my jmlab chorus 710 speaker. I am currently consider nad T742, cambridge audio azur 540R or Marantz SR6300. I am using it for 50% music & 50% movie.
My budget is about $600.
Hawk, from reading your receiver recommendations for jmlab on this forum, I am confused on what your decision on nad pair with jmlab speaker. Is it a good match or not?. I like the nad T742 mainly because of the price ($400)and good sound. I haven't audition on all the receivers above. I only had opportunity to audition rotel with B&W 602(I like it) and B&K with B&W 602 (marginal). For HK, I am not really impress with the sound, I did it in circuit city.
Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us