Need a good bookshelf sized spkr- Polk LSi7 or DM602 S3??

Username: Birdmedia

Post Number: 1
My current set up consists of a Parasound 1500 preamp, Parasound Halo A23 125x2, Sony S9000ES cd/sacd/dvd, Vandersteen 2CE, an MK powered sub cabinet with a JL Audio 12W6V2 driver (the subs parameters are correct for this cabinet and it sounds incredible). My new home does not have the space for the larger Vandersteens and I am looking into bookshelf sized speakers that can be placed in the built-in entertainment center, I know this isn't the best placment, but my only choice.
I listen music and movies solely in 2ch, because I find surround sound and center channels distracting.
Before I set out to audition speakers, I was hoping to get some advice on a pair of great bookshelf speakers. Though not a consideration in the past, I have read great things about Polk's LSi7's and B&W's DM602 S3. Any other recommendations in this price range ($500-1000)? I am looking for a neutral, natural sound.

THANKS!

Username: Birdmedia

Post Number: 2
hmm

Username: Selvx

NicosiaNorth Cyprus

Post Number: 8
Rob,

I've used B&W's DM602 S3 bookshelves with NAD's C-352 integrated amplifier, don't take me wrong, they're very good sounding speakers but there are more natural sounding ones around. 602's have a tad metallic colored high ends - esp. when played loud, that I couldn't live with but do give them a try.

I'm not sure about their prices in US but I advise you to audition JMLab Chorus 707S or a little higher priced Tannoy Sensys DC1's which are about 450 GBPounds in UK.

Both sounds natural and were well praised in the reviews but I think DC1's with a sensitivity of 88db will suit your amps' power ratings more (707, 92db.s). Just keep in mind though that they have 110w power handling figures.

Regards
Selvx

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 40
Rob,

If you like neutral speakers you must try the Ascends. The CBM-170 bookshelves (US$ 328/pr) are very honest and add nothing to the music. You wil need a sub, though. If you want to spend above $500 and have space, try the bigger Ascends CMT-340, which have wider bass extension and are less insipid. Both the 170 and 340 are rear ported, so placement may be an issue for you.

I prefer the B&W sound, specially because of the highs but, if I were to buy B&W bookshelves, I'd stay with the DM-600 S3, cheaper ($350/pr), prettier (more compact) and still very good and balanced sound. I guess they can be wall mounted.

Good Luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us