Which CDP with Arcam Alpha 5+ integrated amp?

Username: Phaco

Post Number: 1
Hi, my Arcam Alpha One cd player finally died on me last week after about 10 years of good service, and it is not economical to have it repaired. It was matched with an Arcam Alpha 5+ integrated, which I intend on keeping, and I have pretty much narrowed down my options to 3 or 4 players:

Cambridge 540C
Rotel RCD-02
NAD C521BEE

Any clues on which one would sound best with my Arcam amp? I listen to very varied styles from instrumental classical to punk through all kinds in between, but there will likely be more classical as my girlfriend is a classical singer. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 694
I haven't heard the Cambridge Audio which has had many good reviews. I know both other CD players and for more classical bias I would choose the Rotel. In fact, I'm surprised you're looking at the NAD 521. The 542 is more closely priced to the Rotel in this country. In the choice between 542 and Rotel I would be hard pressed but would probably plump for the 542.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Phaco

Post Number: 2
I had a potential deal on the Rotel as the dealer was clearing out his stock, but he sold his last 2 units before I could come around to his store. He was selling them @ C$550, about £260. I auditioned both the NAD C521BEE and the Cambridge 540C, and the NAD was simply out of its league, so I bought the CA. Very happy with it, and cost me about C$100 less than the Rotel would have. Thanks for your input!

Seb
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us