Test for shorts.

Username: Jgz91354

Post Number: 6
What is an inexpensive way to test for shorts in my speaker cable runs?

Thank you.

Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 2
Use any multimeter between the two leads. If you have a continuity tester, that makes it easiest. No continuity between the wires and it's ok. If not, measure the resistance between them. It should read as infinite if there are no shorts.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3788

There is a difference between a shorted circuit and an open circuit. A shorted circuit will show continuity between the conductors and be unacceptable for use. An open circuit might easily read as good when checked for continuity yet still not function when placed in a circuit. Open circuits are much more difficult to trace since they can be intermitent in nature. A continuity check is still where you want to begin.

Post Number: 7
Well, after doing some testing last night I am not exactly sure what is going on. I have Onkyo receiver that keeps turning off when I switch to Pro-logic. Last night, I decided to unplug all the speakers, and set it to Pro-logic. It did not turn off all night. I have replaced the speaker cables, and it still happens. The only thing I haven't replaced is the speakers (Onkyo HTIB).

Now, here is the interesting part. I have an old RCA 5.1 receiver that I can plug everything into, and it works fine.

I am going to test continuity and resistance, but it seems odd that as soon as I connect something to the surround channels and use all the speakers it will turn off (not always immediately).

Thanks for the input.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3790

If the problem only exists when the system is operating in Pro Logic mode with the speakers connected, that is a good indication the problem is in the receiver. For the most part speakers either work or they don't. They may be the cause of the problem, but the problem is probably with the receiver not being happy with the speakers.

Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 3
Just to add a quick saftey note, if you are using an ohmmeter to measure resistance, make sure the circuit is de-energized! With the information you posted, sounds like the receiver is the problem. Does everything work fine while running Dolby Digital or DTS?

Post Number: 8
I haven't actually tried Dolby Digital or DTS. However, it seems to happen when I want to use more than the fronts. I supposed I could try Dolby Digital or DTS, but I figured I would not have any luck with that since I can't do Pro-Logic or use all of the channels for very long before it shuts off.

Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us