Freq response 39-25 vs. 34-25. whats the diff.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 34
(6 hz) What are you gaining in 6hz? The bookshelf model reaches 39 and the tower goes to 34. To my uninformed brain, this does not seem like that significant an addition purely from a paper and numbers standpoint. Help me understand, is it worth the extra $300 dollars for the towers?
x

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 45
At the bottom octave, 6Hz is pretty substantial. You'll practically feel, if not hear the difference, depending on your room acoustics.

However, there are certain aspects of performance where I feel bookshelf speakers are superior to floorstanders in the same price/quality range.

What models are we talking about here?

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 35
Tannoy Sensys DC1 and DC2. Actually the freq response is listed as 39-51 and 34-51. I didn't list the high end because I am focused on the low end, not whether anything above 20k matters.

I do use a subwoofer, though right now I run my fronts set at large with crossover set at 60hz.

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 46
Not familiar with Tannoy but with the crossover set above the deepest frequencies these speakers are claimed to be able to reproduce, not sure if it'll make a difference where bass is concerned. Unless perhaps one of the speakers response is more rolled off at the bottom end than the other.

I guess I would go for the speaker that has better soundstaging, tonal balance and resolution. And if that saves me $300, it's icing on the cake.

Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us