NAD 320BEE or Rotel RA-01 with Quad speakers

Username: Estraven79

Post Number: 2
I am between buying a NAD 320BEE amp and a Rotel RA-01 with Quad 11L speakers. I am just afraid that maybe these speakers are too good or unsuitable for these amps. Any suggestions?

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 50
Ap:

I have not heard that particular Rotel because my local Rotel dealer will not stock it (he annoys me sometimes!). However, I would guess that it would sound similar or the same as the other Rotel integrated amps I have heard over the past 6 months (Rotel is very consistant, as is NAD), so I don't think you need to worry about it.

I believe either of these amps would be a good match for the Quads. I have typically found that NAD amps sound warmer than Rotel amps (not better or worse, just warmer). Both are very accurate and image beautifully. Both are a big improvement over the typical mass market electronics which tends to be muddy or vague sounding, as well. Either amp is going to deliver all of the music, not just some of it.

Likewise, the Quads 11Ls I have heard were also very accurate. I found them to be a fascinating speaker--a cone type speaker tailored to sound like an electrostatic speaker (nicely finished, too!). Personally, I think the NAD integrated is a better match sonically as I prefer a warmer sounding amp with the Quads. But, there is no denying that either amp is a very good product and very worthy of those speakers.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous

Hi,
I had goe thru the Rotel RA/NAD 320 thing a couple of months back..In the end it depends on your speakers. I sue Klipsch reference hence needed a Warmer sound hence went for the NAD. I believe the Quads are a bit laid back hence the Rotels should be a better match for you...Although i would suggest coughing up the extra for the RA02 as it comes with a remote which IMHO is invaluable :-)

Username: Edison

Post Number: 125
Try to hear Arcam Diva a75 Plus - you might prefer it. Sounds nice and smooth to me - good for classical especially. Here is a review.

Quad and Arcam are both English - may go together better.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 126
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_list.asp?category=AMP&subcategory=INTGR

Unregistered guest
I just bought the NAD BEE integrated and CD with a pair of QUAD 12L's (more low end than the 11's) and I would highly recommend it. My pref was to get and AUDIO REFINEMENT COMPLETE integrated to pair with the Quads but the Bee got me 90% of the way there for a 1/3 the price... For now it's a wonderful match - go get it!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 294
Ap:

I spent a whoole afternoon at my local Quad dealers about two months ago, trying out both the Model 11s and the Model 12s from Quad. I was rather surprised at what I heard as I believe those two speakers sound more dissimilar than similar. Usually, with a high quality speaker manufacturer like Quad, there is a consistency within the product line such that the speakers sound very much alike and the major difference will be that the larger speaker will have greater bass extension. Not so here.

I found the 11Ls are a little blary--they are very forward sounding and somewhat aggressive, but not overly so. Therefore, you need something a little bit laid back, with a softer edge to it. I think that the Rotel RA-02 or a Cambridge Azur 540/640 is a good choice for the 11Ls. And no, those speakers are not too good for the amp (or amps, in this case). Each of these amps is very good and very well built. I would not recommend the Arcam DIVAs here as their sound is a little hard for the Quad 11Ls.

Now, if you went for the Quad 12Ls, I would definitely recommend the NAD 320bee, which is a superb little amp that gives an extraordinarily good sound for the money. Here, I would also recommend the DIVAs as the softer, more textured sounding Quad 12s could use an amp with a little drive to it. Both the NAD and the Arcam are very dynamic sounding amps, so both are a great match for the 12Ls.

I trust this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us