Neophyte looking for a New AVR: NAD, HK, or Denon?

Username: Tfirenze

Post Number: 1
I'm new to the high end audio/video arena. I'm looking to move up from the low end products I have now. I'm looking to spend around $1,000 on a AVR. I've taken a liking to the following:

Denon 2803
HK 630
NAD T763

Anyone out there that can offer some advice?

Anonymous

You can get the HK7200 for less than a $1,000.
It is last year's model but it is much more powerful (70 amps/channel) compared to 50amps/channel in the 630 and is just as flexible.

I had earlier listened to the NAD and could not determine why it is recommended by so many of the regulars in this forum. Listen and then buy. All three are good receivers from a technology point of view.

Username: Hteaterjunkie

Post Number: 16
Tony,

All those receivers you listed are fine receivers but it is hard to make a suggestion without knowing what speakers you will be hooking it up to and your listening habits/preferences.

While I would agree with Anon that the 7200 is a steal at that 1000$, the 630 does have advantages over the 7200. The only advantage the 7200 has is more power and it is not an huge power difference. Also, the 7200 does NOT have a fan. The 630 does have the new look (depends if you like it or not), software upgradability, Dolby HeadPhone, Dolby Virtual Speaker, and quadruple bass management. It's really a matter of whether you prefer and will use the extra power on the 7200 but keep in mind that the AVR 630 has plenty of power as it is.

As far as the NAD goes, it is a great receiver as well but has a different sound than the HK (it is a little more forward) so again, we are back to the speakers question and your preference.

The above can also be said about the Denon. The major difference with the Denon is that it is more of a home theater amp meaning that it does not sound as good for music IMHO. If you are a big music buff, I would say go with the HK or NAD. If you are planning on using it as a HT amp, then the Denon is very good.

If you are not set on those three brands, I would also suggest that you expand your choices and possibly look at Marantz and Pioneer Elite both of which are great manufacturers and have their own unique sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us