Pls Help Me Choose a Receiver

ISS
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a new receiver to replace my Marantz SR4300 as it died on me twice in a span of 3 months. I no longer have confident in the amp.

After scouting around, I have come up couple choices:

1. Marantz SR7300/7400 <-- at least this is made in Japan. 7300 retails for S$908
2. NAD T752/753 <-- heard that 752 is problemantic. 752 retails for S$999.

I am using a pair of AE Evo 1 as my front. A pair of Wharfedale WH2 for the rear, an Infinity center and a Definitive Prosub 100TL. I am not considering the Rotel RSX1055 as it way off my budget.

I mainly listen to classical music and watch movies.

Which set is more suitable for me? Reliability would be the most important to me. Thanks.

Username: Martinross

Post Number: 3
I just bought the NAD T753. It replaced an Arcam AVR100 with major Dolby Digital and DTS problems.

I'm using the Acoustic Energy package(Evo3 towers,Evo1 bookshelves and the center, all bi-wired). I really like the NAD T753 so far. For movies, it sounds great, especially DTS tracks.

In stereo, I'm so used to the Arcam, that listening to a cd with the T753 sounds a little different. Not wrong in any way, just different. Maybe a little fuller and accurate than the Arcam.

This is my first NAD receiver, so as far as reliability goes, I can't say. I do have a NAD cd player that hasn't had any problems in 2 years. If you go with NAD, make sure you buy from an authorized dealer. Check the NAD web site.

I demo'd the Marantz SR7400 and it sounded very good, but I thought the T753 was just a little better.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 179
I will second the NAD - sounds full and powerful, and musical - even good for music - most HT receivers can't do that.

This place has good prices on NAD (some refurb)

www.dmc-electronics.com

If you don't like the NAD for some reason, you might try Onkyo 800 model and up - they too got good writeups from the pros at hifi magazines.

ISS
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help. But I have just bought a Marantz SR7300. I brought my Evo 1 to the dealer to audition both receivers and I find that the Marantz sounds more relaxed and musical. I find the NAD very informative and have a rich/warm sound. Somehow, I felt tired after listening to it for about 15mins (its a Sunday and the showroom is empty ecept for me and the sales person, thus I stay there for a very long time). Maybe its due to the detail.

The NAD will score higher on detail and vocals but after hearing so many problems with NAD products, I decide to go for the Marantz which is manufactured in Japan.

After I got home, I immediately open up the casing cover to see whats inside. Truely, I wasn't dissapointed. I saw Elna and United Chemicon capacitors which are both among the finest brands out there. The power reserve caps are audio grade Elna caps.

Just a few things I don't like about the SR7300. The remote is huge and bulky. I can't turn off the backlit which does nothing useful for me other than consuming batteries. The IEC socket is worse than SR4300. The connectors are not solid pin but rather a thin tin plated brass plate shaped into a pin. The power lines are of 18 AWG which is decent but could be better.

Anyway, this is a short term solution. I will be adding an additional power amp (probably Rotel RMB-1075) to this Marantz which will make it have more juice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us