7400 vs. NADT753 vs. 7300OSE

Unregistered guest
sorry for the cross post, but I got no action in the other area...perhaps you guys can help.

HELP!!

I have just purchased the Mordaunt Short 500 series THX Select speaker set.

http://www.mordaunt-short.co.uk/products/500series.asp

They are fairly dynamic and tight/fast speakers but tend a touch toward laid back I think...sometimes it's hard to tell since I have not listened to everything out there....but they are phenominal....not just for the price but in general.

Anyhow I would say I am 60/40 Theatre/Music I want a musical amp and both the NAD and the Marantz seem on par in that department....that would be my first question....is that a fair statement?

Power wise they also seem to be comparable.

The 7300ose is a little more expensive but the WAF/"wife acceptance factor" plays a roll so the remote for the 7400 will work much better than the hunk that comes with the 7300. I would like to know if the 7300ose and the 7400 are close in sound quality.....if it's not a huge difference I would likely put my money to the 7400 because of it's features. The NAD sounds great of course...but how the T753 compares to the 7400 is the major question.

Anyhow let me know what you guys think.

Perhaps some of you have experience with these speakers as well. Let me know what you think.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1385
I believe the Mordaunt Short will fare better with the T753. Don't get me wrong, the 7400 is an awesome machine, I just like the T753 a tad better regardless of features. For some people the features makes or breaks the edge. You have a tough choice to make. Have you heard any of these combos???

Unregistered guest
Thanks so much for the feedback....here is the problem, the place I purchased the speakers from is under major renovation so it's hard to get things setup the way I want them....I have heard the speakers with an NAD amp...forget wich one, but I was told that it would be very similar in sound. The marantz seems to be laid back....but how does it compare sound wise the t753....I did not have the chance to compare side by side since my dealer does not carry both brands.

I have had very little time since we are also just moving into our new house *hence the system* :-)

Any feed back would be welcom

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1404
TJ Guy like berny said you have a tough choice their.

to me personally the nad and marrantz should be fairly simular in sound.
so if you like the features better on the marrantz i would
not worry about the choice and get the marrantz.
as either one should leave you with a very nice sounding system.

Username: Spl

Post Number: 7
Hi TJ Guy,

For me, NAD and Marantz have a very similar sound. You're right to say that it's more musical than the others.

I have a Marantz SR7200 and I'm still quite happy with this. I plan to add an outboard amp but not in the near future.

What I've noticed with Marantz is that the Source Direct feature enhances the stereo imaging, and makes the music very clear, detailed, and punchy. It's almost like setting your camera to auto-focus. I however turn it off when I listen to badly recorded CDs like New Wave and Rock. :-)

If I were to buy an AVR now, my first 2 choices would be the Marantz SR7400, then the NAD T753. I've only compared them to Denon (not 05), Pioneer (not Elite), and Onkyo.

Unregistered guest
That is good to hear.....If they are warmer and more musical that's what I would like, the proplem is that because I have not had enough time with my speakers on those amps....I have to assume that the Mordaunt shorts being as detailed and relatively fast as they are would most likely benefit from the warmer sound of the marants/NAD combo.

In my price range I don't think I have any other options, the 7400 or the t753...since they are gonna do the best as far as my Listening Mix.

The mordaunt shorts are very impressive Stereo Performers, And there were no audio sacrifices made to make these better Home Theater Speakers.

I will give you guys my full review of the system when I get a chance and I must say, the Marantz Remote has the WAF going for it. Price and features and sound, it would seem the marantz 7400 is the bang for the buck in this price range.

Thanks.... :-)

Anymore opinions/comments? Anyone hear this combo?

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 22
I'd pick the Nad t753, it as all real mature but yet mysterious sound to it, I've heard both and to be honest I was a little disapointed with the marantz, it sound a bit too laid back where the Nad just sounds sophisticated and defined, unfortunately I did not hear these units with the Mordaunt speakers :-( . One thing I should say is keep an eye on the Cedia show I think new models will be released shortly ie: Marantz 7500 which could be an improvement for them...

Unregistered guest
I am thinking of purchasing the Nad T753.
I have a set of Bose 901,s with equalizer series vl. I've been told that they will work with this receiver.I need pre-amp out and main in and was told this unit has it. If you can let me no if this is a good choice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Anonymous

I am thinking of purchasing the Nad T753.
I have a set of Bose 901,s with equalizer series vl. I've been told that they will work with this receiver.I need pre-amp out and main in and was told this unit has it. If you can let me no if this is a good choice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us