Need new receiver for home theater. (HK or Onkyo)

Username: Stokes

Post Number: 1
i am looking at getting a new basic receiver and was looking at the HK 125 or the Onkyo TX-SR501. they both have their own pros and cons and was really wondering which would be better. i have heard the HK has better sound quality but also only has 45 WPC. But Onkyo has 80 WPC.

i am just looking for some advice for a beginner to the home theater scene.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 24
Jason,
HK usually do not over inflate the ratings on their receivers and their power supplies, which is very important in any receiver, are very good.
cheers

Username: Stokes

Post Number: 3
i am really looking for something that would work best for movies and xbox. i am an avid video game player. does this change anything on what i should buy

Anonymous

I own a new H/K avr430 and it's hard to say which is better since I didn't audition onkyo. The only thing I can say is that the stated 65 wpc on my H/K is more powerful than the 110 wpc on the Pioneer I tried before taking it back. I think you could legitimately double the stated wpc for H/K, but then you have to consider the high current amp, which provides a surplus power supply. You see, in the case where the H/K reaches its power ceiling the high current amp will still allow it hit dynamics where other receivers have "clip" highs and lows. This gives the impression of even more power.

I use mine with xbox as well, and it rocks!

If I were you, I'd try them both; its a decision you'll have to live with. From what I read, they're both great receivers, but for me, it was H/K all the way.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 51
Jason,
If you like the 501 check with J&R Music World and see if they still have any refurbished Onkyo 500's left. They were selling them for $149.88 with full warranty but I don't know if they are still available. Generally I would say the H/K is a better unit and for full price I would go with the H/K but for the price the 500 is hard to beat.
Both have good sound quality IMO but the H/K does have much more 5 channel power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us