HK 525 -- keeps turning off!

aruna
Unregistered guest
Hey there,
I need help! Just got the HK 525 receiver and just hooked it up to bos A10 speakers. After 5-10 seconds it automatically turns off. There's nothing wrong with the power source...any ideas what it could be besides a defective product?

Thanks!

aruna

Bronze Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 37
The speaker impedence may be causing the problem. What impedence are your speakers?

aruna
Unregistered guest
I'm afraid I don't know the impedence of the speakers...from the technical info provided by Bose, this was all I was able to figure out:

Connectivity: compatible with A/V receivers and amplifiers rated from 10 to 200 watts per channel, rated from 4 to 8 ohms

I know that the HK AVR-525 can handle this, so I was figured that the receiver was compatible.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 321
Aruna: check all your wiring. Just for fun, try disconnecting all your speakers. Turn on the reciever with no speakers attached, seee if it shuts off. If not, continue the process adding one speaker back at a time. During this, check all wiring and make sure you have no loose "strands" touching anything.

Other than that, you may be running into a real problem with the amplifier section going into protection.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1253
generally when something shuts down it's from one
of 2 things.

overheatng.

or working to hard. mostly from low impedance speakers.

or just plain something shorting out.
speaker wires or something inside the reciever.

Aruna
Unregistered guest
Thank you all for your suggestions. I unplugged all the speakers and still had the problem, so it looks like I'll be sending it back.

It's ironic that the first "nice" stereo equipment I buy, I have problems with! I should have stuck with the kenwood shelf system I have that cost less that $200 ;0)

thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 323
Aruna: don't fret. I went from the high end Kenwood KR-V990D to the H/K AVR-525. I haven't had any problems at all and I have run mine at exceedingly high volumes and run times (I have moderately inefficient towers that demand attention).

Sorry you got a bad apple, but there's one in every bunch.

Kegger: you gave 3 reasons, not two! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1264
yah i know but the last one came to me as i was writing.

Anonymous

I purchased a H/K AVR 430 refirb form ebay that had the same problem. I think it is an internal short. H/K honored the warranty no problem and even shipped me a new one (cool). No problems and sounds like a gem. Using energy veritas with it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us