Stupid newbie question: Grounding.

Username: Madcow1515

Post Number: 8
Okay, I feel kind of stupid for asking this, but I don't know anything about grounding. Is there a good article online anywhere on tips and stuff? I'm not currently having any problems with a hum on my turntable. Should I still worry about grounding it?

mr.man
Unregistered guest
no hum or no hum that you're hearing?
you've got a grounding wire?
then use it!
the screw that holds the face plate on your outlet
is usually a safe bet otherwise quite a number of amps have grounding posts on the back of the unit.
if you need one...there appears to have been one there at one time you'll probably have to improvise the connection. A chunk of speakerwire perhaps.

as a side note there are a few nuts who have run grounding posts (available at yer local radio shack) into the dirt outside their window drilled into the frame and ran soild core cable out to it. The EARTHGROUND.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Well, mr.man, As one of those nuts who would rather have a lightning strike on my antenna or satelite dish be taken to earth ground than go through my system and then find ground as supplied by TXU utilities I am quite satisfied with being a nut. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes it's best to just have a good ground.
Bye Bye, mr.man

dethbunny
Unregistered guest
J Vigne: If your antenna is set up correctly, it has its own grounding wire. You're solving the problem at the wrong end if your system relies on utility grounding to deal with potential lightning strikes. Exterior things like antennas, sat dishes, and the like should all have their own direct grounds run down the outside of your house.

The reason we have three-prong outlets is to provide a utility ground for appliances, and that includes your home's AV equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us