Help for a newbie?

Username: Lachie_m

Post Number: 1
Hello all, this is my first time posting on this site, so i apologise in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area or if this question has been answered elsewhere. Also, please excuse my lack of knowledge, especially with electrical terms!

Okay, here's the problem. I have two 5.1 home theater amps (one sherwood and one pioneer) and they both have the same fault. on both units, the standby/on button does not always turn the unit on, and if it does then the unit will only stay on for approx 3-5seconds before switching back to standby mode. On neither unit does the display turn on during this process. Is this 'protect' mode or is this something else and how can it be fixed? Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17247

Typically, "stand by" is a function of a switch on the front panel of the unit. No input sources are selected through the stand by switch and you'll need to select a source by hitting "CD", "DVD", "Video 1", etc. on the remote. Once a source has been selected in such a manner, the unit should power up and be able to play. The "stand by" LED, however, should remain lit as long as the unit is not shut down completely by hitting the "stand by" button once again. If you have your on screen display hooked up to a monitor device - a TV - you should be able to see a visual readout of the unit's status once a source has been selected.

This should be explained in the owner's manual. Have you read the owner's manual? This should also be the type of question you can ask the retailer from which you purchased the unit. Did you buy the unit from a local dealer who offers after the sales service?

We can answer questions but those two sources are generally your first and best bet as they should know the product better than we do.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2741
Isn't the default input the last one selected before turnoff? Is there a 'main power' switch on the back panel, which should be on before stdby/on functions?

Disconnect everything and try again. If it works, or at least stays on, you've got a problem elsewhere. Perhaps a shorted speaker wire.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14640
with nothing connected to either receiver, inlcuding sources and speakers, if both exhibit this behavior, then it is most likely something internally has been shorted, and the receivers will need to be serviced at a repair shop to find the internal problem. If the amplifier stage in the receivers was damaged, the receiver would most likely behave this way.

Username: Lachie_m

Post Number: 3
GlassWolf- With no inputs or speakers wired up the problem persists, first thing I checked. I was certain that it was an electrical fault before I came to this forum, but as neither unit is under warranty, I would like to give it a shot at fixing them anyway (got both units for free, nothing really to lose!!), does anyone know what might have gone wrong? Bad joint? Stuffed power supply? Between my uncle (he's a sparky) and I, we can do the repair if we know what is broken!

Jan Vigne- I have another of the Sherwood units identical to the broken one, and switching the unit on from standby reverts to the last input (as correctly stated by Magfan)- no selection of inputs is required for the working unit to power up, simply hitting the 'standby' button is sufficient. As I was given both units (the old 'if you can fix it, its yours' ploy got me again), I have no idea about place of purchase. I know both are around 2008 manufacture.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14647
look on-line for free PDF versions of the service manuals for both models if available. I find them for all of my gear when possible just to have on hand.
withat that, at least you can start tracing the problem with a meter and scope.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us