WTF v.II

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17191

"In recent conversations with myself and with others, I've been trying to explain my addiction - and I truly do believe it's an addiction - to music, new and old. A lot of times, when I've got an unfamiliar album in my hand, I feel like I just need to hear it. I just need to know what it sounds like. Why? I think I'm searching for connections between different times, places, and musical styles and artists. Why? I don't know, exactly. I imagine there's some magnificent story to be told through music, that all recorded music is somehow connected, and, if I can just trace those connections, I'll learn something deep and special about myself and the world.

I write a bit about this in our April issue when I mention purchasing several new pop records ('Perhaps I'd be able to draw parallels between that music and the more underground stuff I typically enjoy') and again when I mention purchasing several old classical titles ('Maybe I'd even find similarities between Jay-Z and Gesualdo'). "
; http://www.stereophile.com/

OK, I know most of you don't listen to the same music I do. Probably the vast majority - is there still a vast majority? - of you don't have an idea who Rubenstein, Jimmy Rodgers, Lefty Frizzell, Ruth Brown, Slim Harpo or Even Howlin' Wolf were or have any ideas about the music they played.

But really?! Jay-Z and Gesualdo are a "different time" and a "different style"???

Trust me, there are magnificent stories to be told. And you can learn something deep and special - if not about yourself, then, at least, about how music is connected through time and styles.

However, you're going to have to look a bit "deeper" than fifteen years ago and you're going to have to be a bit more curious than stretching out to those oldsters like Jay-Z.

Tell me this ain't so, Tonto.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1320
Tain't so.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1321
After all, 15 years is likely half his life where it just barely exceeds a 1/4 of mine. So, for the writer, he is likely looking deep into his past when he first started listening critically to music. Granted, that's a snap shot for many of us, Art you know who you are, but I have to cut him a little slack for that. After all, the Beatles still have quite a following and Elvis was just getting over himself at that point while Frank Sinatra was "over the hill" and folk was all done in the early 60s. It's just a different perspective, maybe.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15648
I must admit to liking Stephen but also must admit that he is speaking to a different demographic than any one that I inhabit. Most of the time I simply cannot relate...this month more than usual.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1323
Art,

Why this month. I feel old almost every month but I was inspired by all you guys' weigh loss last year so I've started working out and lost 15 lbs. so far. We'll see if it helps with the whole "old" thing.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17198

It doesn't, old is still old. Ya' just fit in a smaller coffin.

But being old and knowing a few things more than someone who happens to be too young to know JayZ ain't old makes me think I wouldn't care to be young right now when I'd think vintage technolgy is an original iPod.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15652
When ole' Stephen is talking about playing some alternative stuff for his cute girlfriends I can relate...or about cheap speakers and amps, hey I can do that...some of the other topics, not so much. Then again I'm not the target audience. I think the folks who believe that the first gen iPod is the sh!t are the target. Anyone got a first gen iPod they want to sell for cheap...they're still not showing up at yard sales.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us