Floorstanding speakers vs. standmount speakers & a sub

Silver Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 101
I'm just curious as to what your thoughts are on this topic. I know this has been debated before but I couldn't find much out there on this. The reason I ask is I'm currently using PMC FB1i's with an Esoteric AI-10 integrated amp and a Bryston BCD-1 cd player in a small to mid size room, 16x13x8 with an open staircase. The room is fully furnished and carpeted and the speakers must be place about a foot off the wall. I realize that standmounts will not go as low in the base extension but paired with a good sub could sound as good or better than some smaller floorstanding speakers. I'm looking for a wider soundstage /dispersion and a fuller sound . The bass and clarity is pretty good on the PMC's. If you have any suggestions for good standmount & sub combos that may better the PMC FB1i's or any other small floorstanders that may sound better with my situation please suggest some. Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17088

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/697744.html#POST1980303

http://nutshellhifi.com/library/speaker-design1.html

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15282
From your description sounds like you need to fuss with speaker placement a bit.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4541
One isn't inherently better than the other IMO. It's all room dependent. Just because a monitor is smaller doesn't meant it'll be better closer to a wall; it all depends on the designer's goals.

Soundstaging has a lot to do with room acoustics. It has to do with the timing of the soundwaves hitting your ears. A lot of things can throw off this timing - reflections from the ceiling, floor, side walls, the back wall, and what's between the speakers.

What's between the speakers is a huge culprit, and I think it's probably the most overlooked one. If you can, take everything out from between the speakers - TV, rack, etc. See how much of a difference that makes. Depending on what's between them, you may be able to minimize it and gain most of the benefits. Maybe wall mount the TV rather than having it on a stand. Maybe move the stereo rack to a different place and use longer wires.

At the end of the day, I think your room is most likely too small for your speakers. I haven't measured my daughter's bedroom, but it's the same size, give or take a foot or so. If her room was my stereo room, I'd have smaller speakers. I'd try them without a sub at first. Smaller doesn't mean strictly monitors. The Totem Arro would probably work wonders in a room this size. They'd still need a foot or so from the back wall, but looking at my daughter's room, I think they'd be a great match. They'd actually probably be better than my AP Yara monitors in this room, as my Yaras need at least a foot an a half from the wall and a bit of space to breathe.

Also, PMCs have a wide soundstage in my experience. However, they're not the fullest sounding speaker out there. I'd characterize them as more on the lean side than the full side.

As stupid as it sounds, the PMC TB2i may sound better in that room.

Whatever you do, you should get an in home audition before committing to buy. If there's no local dealers for what you want, buy used at a price that'll minimize your losses.

Your speakers generally work fine in tighter quarters. I just think you're pushing it a bit too much in that room. Maybe I'm way off with that, but that's what my gut's telling me.

Silver Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 102
Thanks Stu for the input. I don't think the room is too small but the speakers may benefit more from a bit larger of a room. They don't feel over powering to me. Once the basement is finished, that is where my speakers will go and will be a larger room. I did demo a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.4's, which sounded very nice but are rear ported and may cause some problems in that room.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us