Why not stereo receivers??

Username: Saguaro34

Tucson, Arizona USA

Post Number: 2
To date, I have yet to read of a single stereo receiver to be recommended to power speakers for serious stereo listening. Yes, I have read about the compromises that seem an inherent consequence of receiver design, which, in turn, relegates them to an also-ran standing when put up against the various types of dedicated amps. All that notwithstanding, can anyone tell me if a stereo receiver exists out there in that big wide world of audiophilia that true audiophiles would and/or could actually recommend to power speakers?? In the spirit of the holiday season, please say yes, and tell me which ones....

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1442
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.

"can anyone tell me if a stereo receiver exists out there in that big wide world of audiophilia that true audiophiles would and/or could actually recommend to power speakers?? "

Not sure what a "true audiophile" is. For that matter, I'm a little confused with "stereo receiver". Are you talking about simply a stereo amplifier with a tuner, with no other A/V or multi-channel capabilities ? Many "receivers" these days are multi-channel in nature, but are capable of stereo playback.

Let's assume for now you literally meant "stereo receiver", and that a "true audiophile" is someone who is a music lover, and pursues this interest by seeking out the audio equipment that maximizes his/her enjoyment of it. If so, the answer to your question is, maybe. Companies like Denon, Yamaha, H/K, and Onkyo make decent receivers, but they may not scratch the itch of every audiophile. Very few high end companies make a straight stereo receiver these days, but there is lots of vintage gear out there that many people thinks sounds better than much of the gear made today. Think companies like Fisher, MacIntosh, and Sansui. A quick scan on ebay will get you hundreds of opportunities. And from personal experience I can tell you some of these receivers sound glorious. However, with vintage gear, you better know what your buying or you can get more frustration than musical enjoyment. Goot vintage gear that is in great physical and working condition is not cheap either.

Now, if you're thinking more of the multi-channel world, companies like Bryston and Simaudio (and other "high end" companies) play happily in that game, but there is a significant up-tick in price when you make that leap.

If you wanted to create a "stereo receiver" you could buy a nice integrated amp and pair it with a tuner. This opens up many, many options. Now there is literally every price point from $100 to $10,000 and beyond....and gear from hundreds of vendors.

So, if you can clarify specifically what you are looking for, folks might be able to come back with more specific suggestions for you..

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3584
You want a serious high end integrated amp with built in tuner...

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/2-channel-audio-receiver-md209.htm

And you can buy them from this guy who is a great, honest dude.

http://highendaudioexchange.ca/products.shtml?view=22

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1314
Like Chris, I'm not really sure what you're asking. Typically, a "stereo receiver" is a 2 channel integrated amplifier with a tuner so you can get AM/FM radio. Is that what you're asking about? If so, Nick has given you a couple of high end options and Chris has given you the option of looking at vintage gear. Another option is:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Outlaw's little unit, under $1000 has gotten decent reviews and if you're careful, you can catch it on sale for less.

If you're really talking about an integrated amplifier that has the amp/pre-amp in one box, that's a whole different animal and you can find these from almost every reputable low to high end audio manufacturer.

Let us know what you're thinking. Dave

Gold Member

Post Number: 1315
The Outlaw unit is $699 so well under $1000 at the moment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1316
No I don't work for Outlaw and I haven't heard this unit. But, it's on a Black Friday price of $599. So, I'm at least trying to get you the correct info. Dave

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5617
Haha, yeah I also don't know what's being asked by the OP but guaranteed that whatever he's referring to exists. If there are record players that cost tens of thousands of dollars, then there is a "stereo receiver" that sounds amazing.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4498
There's a Magnum Dynalab MD208 on Audiogon for $1400 right now. No connection to the seller.

By far the best stereo receiver I've heard. Magnum dynalab makes the tuner section, and Simaudio either made or designed the amplification section. I'd call it a no-compromise receiver. It's not perfect, but nothing is. Sounds far better than any $1400 combination of integrated amp and tuner I know of.

A "modern" stereo receiver could be a Sonos Amp:Connect (formerly ZP120 or something like that). It's a Sonos streamer with built in amplification. I don't think it'll do FM, but it'll do iRadio and services like Pandora.

There's also the others that have been suggested, which are quite good for what they are. If I needed a receiver and had $1400, I'd take a serious look at the Magnum Dynalab on Audiogon. If my budget was tighter, I'd look closely at the Sonos. I've heard it with some speakers that should outclass it, and it sounded very good considering price and everything under it's hood. It's currently $500, I think the price went up recently? Not sure if it's been updated/upgraded recently or not. It looks the same to me as its always looked.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4499
I forgot to mention...

Naim Uniti and UnitiQute. Excellent sounding receivers. I've strongly contemplated both. My Bryston B60/Apple TV 1/Rega DAC sound too good to let go of. Had I needed less boxes, I'd be more than ok with a Uniti. It's a Naim Nait 5i/CD5i/streamer/DAC/tuner in one great sounding box. Price is a bit steep, but easily worth the extra dollars over a Nait and CD5i due to the extras and ease of use IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3585
Forgot all about the Uniti. Good call Stu.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3530
The Harman/Kardon HK3490 can be had for under $300, under $200 if you catch the right auction @ Harman's ebay store.

You can spend a lot more trying to compile all that this receiver offers (120wpc x 4, internal DAC, phono section, etc.), but I seriously doubt you can match it's performance at many (many) times its price.

Let the criticisms commence, but this receiver is without serious fault IMHO (I don't love the remote, and I would have preferred an RDS Tuner) and without peer, at any price, and that's a fact.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/hk-3490

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Z-2-x-120W-per-channel-Stereo-Rece iver-w-remote-control-/180755665578?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item2a15e092aa

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14896
Sounds like you got a winner, Chris

Gold Member

Post Number: 3531
Just one man's opinion Art, but I'm sticking with it.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4870
I have a Yahama RX-497 that I bought years ago before I really knew any better (it's since been passed down onto my son). One day, just for fun, I set it up with Jamie's Apollo and (now Nicks') Totem Sttafs.

I was actually stunned how good it sounded. So yes, you can get good sound from a stereo receiver. Even a mid-fi Yamaha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3532
While I continue to pine for the likes of McIntosh & Top-Shelf Marantz, the HK is really nothing to be ashamed of; it's like a Nissan GT-R that mops the floor with Ferraris & Lamborghinis. That's not to say you may not prefer a different Power Amp, Pre-Amp, External DAC, Phono Amp, Headphone Amp compilation in the end, but then again you might not.

Anybody up for a blind listening test?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5618

quote:

Anybody up for a blind listening test?

Too bad you're so far away. ;p

Gold Member

Post Number: 1317
I love when the newbies post and then never return to see what the answer might be. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 3533
I'm just glad to have the opportunity tout the abilities of modern-day Stereo Receivers, and the HK in particular; the better ones can simply do everything an audiophile-on-a-buget (like me) needs.

Username: Saguaro34

Tucson, Arizona USA

Post Number: 3
Hello Dakulis,
I am such a new newbie that I've been having much trouble getting back to and finding this thread again, and all of your posts. Audiogon's forum is a lot more user friendly (at least, for me), where, by the way, I have posted basically the same thread, with back and forth responses from readers and myself that should bring you up to date if you want to follow up. In the meanwhile, I'm trying to rectify my newbie status by reading, posting, listening, and researching, in my fashion, So please bear with me, I am making an attempt to learn about all this "stuff", in my bumbling fashion, realizing all the while that the knowledge I've gained thus far hardly amounts to a crack in the door of audiophilia - which cautions me time and again, to pay heed to the old axiom: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

drygeorge
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us