Speakers to my tv

Username: Backtobionic

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 1
I am going to explain this in basic terms because i really have no clue about this. I have speakers that has a cord with red/white. I have an old tv that only has 1 red/yellow/red on the back. I have a directv box plugged into an rf modulator by a cable and then a cable from rf mod to the tv. Then i used red/white/yellow cord to go to my dvd player from rf mod. My question is, where do i need to plug the speakers to get them to work? The speakers on the tv are blown and crappy. Ive tried every way i can think of but is there something i need to buy to get this to work?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16926

The DirectTV receiver should have both audio and video outputs. They should be labeled as such and the color code would be "red/white" = audio out while "yellow" = video out. The yellow video output is a "composite" out and it should run to the composite video input of the TV which would also be yellow. Unless the TV has no "video" inputs and can only accept an antenna input, there is no reason for the RF modulator that I can see.

The audio outputs from the DirectTV receiver are "line level" only and they will need to run into a small amplifier, the receiver itself cannot drive speakers. Amplifiers are availabe from numerous sources. The speakers would attach directly to the speaker outputs of the amplifier.

The DVD player - unless it is a recorder - would only have outputs and no inputs. Why would you run the outputs of the modulator into the outputs of the DVD player? If the TV lacks either additional video inputs or another antenna input, you'll need to add an "A/B" switch box for video sources to the system. The DirectTV receiver would be "A" and the DVD player would run to the "B" inputs.

Username: Backtobionic

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. It is a dvd recorder. The reason i have the modulator is because the remote to the tv broke some time ago and i cant get it to go to "aux" using the directv remote. The modulator was just my way of being able to use the dvd recorder on ch.3. So i need an amplifier? Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16928

Sounds like you need a new TV. Watch the ads and pick up a set that has the capacity to display the new "digital" signals with higher resolution.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us