What's the deal with THX certification anyway?

THX curious
Unregistered guest
Some seemingly great receivers, such as the Denon 3805 and the Sony ES lines, are not THX certified. Is it correct to assume that, while a receiver with THX is likely to sound great, not having the THX certification doesn't mean a receiver won't sound just as good?

I want to get a great receiver but don't want to feel as if I'm shorting changing myself by not getting this stamp of approval. Is the THX cert a stamp of approval I should be worried about?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 387
Curious,

I am sure that others here will disagree with me, but I would have to agree with your statement that "while a receiver with THX is likely to sound great, not having the THX doesn't mean a receiver won't sound just as good". There are MANY awesome receivers that are not THX certified...the ones you mentioned plus NAD and others. When a receiver is labeled at "THX Certified", all it means is that the receiver has "met" a certain set of criteria for performance. It is up to debate as to how stringent those criteria are. Some THX Certified receivers have very poor power supplies, so I sometimes wonder how tough it really is to get THX Certification. There are many receivers out there that could very easily meet that criteria, but those companies choose not to help line George Lucas' pockets by slapping that THX logo on their products.

So, in short, get a receiver that sounds good to YOU and will fit YOUR needs. If it has THX Certification, so be it...if not, you will still have a receiver that sounds great.

Silver Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 104
THX is kinda like an opinion on a receiver, thats all..........but its a very well respected and intelligent opinion that I listened to and bought a THX certified receiver, the Yamaha RXV2400

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 900
i second johnny.

you have to pay thx to get your system certified.
some manufacturers are not willing to do that on
all if any of their equipment.

so just because it does not have the thx certification
doesn't tell you anything.

and like johnny said many have questioned the thx
certification process as their are still some inferior
equipment that have thx certification.

and before anyone thinks i am bashing thx no!
i'm just stating that not all thx certified equipment
is going to be good just because it has a thx logo.

but most probably are.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 519
The Yamaha 1400 and 2400 are the best examples I know of the benefit of THX. It forced Yamaha to offer variable crossover settings instead of their stupid 90db fixed setting. In order to receive THX certification a receiver must be able to drive a load of 3.2 ohms so that theoretically means all THX receivers can drive 4 ohm speakers with no problem. Theoretically mind you. Some sort of cinema eq and timbre matching is included also which I have found on all my receivers THX or not to be very beneficial. THX is not the holy grail but is of some benefit generally and a large benefit in the case of the two Yamaha's but I would not base my purchasing decision on THX or no THX.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Elitefan,

Here's a question about THX...is THX always running on a receiver or do you have to select it?

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 903
some recievers you can turn it on and off while
others it's on all the time.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 405
Martini, do you mean THX post-processing? It can be on or off, I dont remember seen any receiver wich would force the use of THX proc.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 904
if i remember correctly most of the early thx
based recievers couldn't turn it off.

this can cause issues with playing back something
in thx then rethxing it again.

there were quite a few complaints about not being
able to turn it off.

then as it went on most units were able to turn
it on and off.

Bronze Member
Username: Cornboy

Post Number: 15
I can't believe all the discussions on THX certification. A movie theater has different acoustical properties than our livingrooms. Movie soundtracks are not recorded for our "livingrooms." They're recorded to sound best in a theater. A THX receiver has certain features (see THX.com) that makes a movie's soundtrack that we are listening to in our livingrooms sound as close as possible as the director intended it to sound in a theater. Period! That's it guys. That being said. THX does not mean one receiver is "better" than another. Hope that helps and puts this silly discussion to rest once and for all.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 909
cornboy i think you got us wrong.

no one is questioning a thx recording.

we are talking about the recievers themselves.

but on some of the early thx certified recievers
when you played a thx equalized movie the reciever
would do it again so you got double thx equ'ing.
that did not work correct.

i agree a thx soundtrack is generally excelent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
I think the main reason people don't like THX sound is because they hate Lucas
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us