Two cables into one banana plug??

Username: Tedstyler

Post Number: 7
Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this...

I've been searching for an answer to this for freakin ages and it's doing my head in!!! I know it's a complete noob question but... How do i get 2 cables into one banana plug. I have my setup biwired (I know this is debateable but i've already got the gear so im doing it!). My speakers -B&W 603's - are sweet cos they've got 4 terminals in each to plug the 4 cables into... On the amp however i only have 2 terminals for the 4 cables. i would like to get banana plugs or something similar because i move around a bit. I just can't quite work out how to get 2 of the cables into one banana plug to plug into my amp.

Also my cables are Chord Carnival Silver Plus (pictured) and they have plastic seperating pieces in with the wire and also a plastic core thing running through the middle. can i cut these plastic bits out at the exposed ends of the cable? They seem to make everything very bulky when im trying to attach banana plugs.

Basically what im trying to achieve is something similar to this
Upload

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, Josh

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16767

Several ways to go about this depending on your competency with tools and small parts and your budget. First, assuming your amplifier uses five way binding posts, you can simply double up on the connection at the amplifier's speaker out post. Two spade lugs should fit under the nut for most five way posts and, as long as the connection made is tight and not in danger of touching either the opposite polarity binding post or spade lug or the chassis of the amplifier itself, you can make a simple connection by simply using two spades on one post. Depending on your soldering skills and the availability of small parts, you could kludge together both stripped ends (bare wire) of your speaker cables into one larger gauge spade and use only the one lug under the post's nut. You'll need about a 40 watt soldering iron to complete this connection at the spade lug and a good heat sink so you don't begin to melt the plastic dielectric of the cable. This is a job meant more for a shop which can make a good solder connection with the proper tools rather than an individual who doesn't do much soldering. An alternate to this would be to use a crimp type spade lug which you could crimp down yourself but that too requires some tools and a certain degree of skill to manage. This would also depend on the gauge of spade lug accepted by your amplifier's posts. Less expensive amps tend not to accept larger gauge lugs and you risk making a poor connection which is both bad for sound and dangerous to the equipment.

Next, you could use a spade beneath the nut of the post and a banana type pin into the opening at the top center of the five way post. Or you could, if you prefer, use two banana plugs and mount them one on top of the other as common banana plugs such as Pamonas; http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/docs/popup.php?img=http://www.pomonaelectronics .com/images/large/1325.jpg are meant to be stackable.

A high quality banana plug like the Pamonas would be fairly inconsequential to sound quality, a point that cannot be made for many low cost bananas. Bananas are not a high end audio connector, they are intended for shop use where a temporary and quick connect/disconnect is valued. Stay away from most cheap banana plugs as they are not meant for use in high end audio.

Higher cost bananas from, say, a high end audio aftermarket retailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029XW5JA, might not afford the flexibility of stacking plugs however, and then you would need to use a configuration of - possibly - a combination of spade or bare wire under the nut and a single banana through the post.

Five way posts are the most flexible of any connectors in audio. Most high end amplifiers use them for this reason. If your amplifier doesn't have such posts - something you didn't mention, then my best suggestion would be discussing this with the shop where you buy your parts. From what you've said, you're trying to assemble these cables yourself. Make sure you have good parts and don't cheap out on banana plugs, they do have an effect on sound quality. Contact a shop such as Parts Express and tell them what you're trying to accomplish. They can certainly help you figure out the best connection possible when you provide all the information required to make a final recommendation.

From your description of the cable ends, yes, of course, you will need to remove some of the plastic parts within the cable to make a decent connection to the plugs. Just be careful not to cut into the strands of wire themself.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us