NAD dac-1

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 631
http://nadelectronics.com/products/digital-music/DAC-1-Wireless-USB-Digital-to-A nalogue-Converter

Does anybody have something similar to this ? I was considering getting the HRT music streamer but my desktop is not close to my audio setup.

The dac-1 looks like it would take care of the placement issue. I am very intrigued by it and will probably get it in the future.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3556
I am really disappointed by NAD's efforts on their first DAC, or lack there of. If you need a wireless DAC???? ahhh sure but that thing is a huge piece of sh!t if you ask me. I hope they come out with a high end DAC shortly, perhaps one model in the classic series then a beast in the Masters series. Lets go NAD, a little behind on the ball here.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14640
I sent them an email about it sometime ago and they said that they were working one one.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3557
Good to hear Art. Figured/Hoped they would be.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2533
You guys are hoping for something first at the DacMagic level than going upscale to the Bryston level for the Masters Series?

But both with the NAD touch?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3558
I am hoping so Leo. A lot of people disregard NAD as being a high end product, but their latest offerings are very good and weather people like the sound or not, their Masters series are built like tanks (QC aside). I hope NAD gets their boots on and digs in deep with some quality DAC's soon. Personally, I do not think releasing a wireless USB DAC first was the best choice.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2534
I hope the NAD stuff works out. I'll check out the wireless DAC, since I may actually have a use for it!

Now, Quality is an issue I've been acquainted with for 30 years in a manufacturing environment for electronics......and I gotta tell 'ya that if you find something wrong with QC (Quick Check) you got other problems.
The key? Design a process with minimal points of failure. We called part of that FMEA....Failure Mode Effects Analysis and used it to 'mistake proof' the process.
Part II is to TRAIN the people to do good work. Statistical Process Control.....SPC, is used to measure that which can be measured and keep track of the performance to goal. Operators all have to work to a standard and wide knowledge of 'best practices' encouraged.
Part III is to analyize field failures and feed the information BACK to the factory and improve the process. The categories would be Man, Machine or Material to 'fix'.
It's more complicated than I make it out, but the long / short of it is that there is no need for quality problems. Well, maybe on the first runs of a new product....but generally, a mature manufacturing operation should be able to make a new product well. At least one that is a proper, robust design which has been designed to be manufacturable from the start.
I remember talk about the NAD capacitor problem from a few years ago. Perfect example. Purchasing or some bean counter bought the absolute miniumum spec part with little assurance of a high MTBF under 'real world' use conditions.
How much would it have cost to buy a better part, ensure proper cooling and maybe give the part a little more cooling space? I'll bet the loss of good will, the rework and buy-backs cost NAD a bunch more than doing it right the first time.
Also, having worked with some Mil-Spec and Rad Hard semiconductors, I know that the end buyer will only allow a few reworks. Not by number, but by type. Some operations are simply NOT reworkable, even if for other parts it was a routine. For prototyping, they even want all the scrap silicon. Break a wafer? Sweep it up and give 'em the pieces.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 655
I know they are going to come out with the dac module for the 356/375 shortly as well.

I just find the usb plug in aspect of the dac-1 interesting. Not only can I use it on my computer by the at&t uverse box also has a usb input as well but I don't know if it would work on that yet..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us