Question about volume control

Alan6800
Unregistered guest
I listen to classical music, which has a lot of high and low sounds to it. I'm wondering if there is a device that would maintain the music at the same volume. So, cannon shots would be heard at the same level as soft instruments.

Thanks

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You're looking for a compressor. They can be found at shops that sell pro audio. They are not cheap. You can also accomplish the same compression techniques with most Home Theater recievers and stand alone processors. Many have a compression circuit that is designed for low level or nightime listening. There are several DVD players that can be used as a CD player (or upgrade you system to DVD-A/SACD for better sound quality) that incorporate a similar circuit. If you ask for a unit that has a compression circuit built in a good salesperson should be able to point out the products you have to choose from.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1738
There is also a "dynamic range control" on some players, for example DVD-players. In my opinion, wide dynamic range is especially important in "classical" music, so I wonder why you ask.

Larry R.
Unregistered guest
As I don't know what equipment you use, I can only post a general comment. John A. and others are correct - there are settings on most receivers and dVD/CD players as to range. On some receivers, it's called "Nighthawk," or such setting that scrunches the sound into a smaller area of volume. My JVC has such a setting, as does my Onkyo 701 - put together, they do, indeed, keep sound levels closer together. Although I side with John A. here - why? Unless you want to listen while your mate sleeps, or use the music as background-only, the dynamics of classical music make it "live." Sorry I can't be more specific.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us