Shirley got her system!

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1649
Shirley called me last night all excited. After a couple months of shopping around with my friend, she found what she was looking for in sources, amps, speakers & cables. She sent me a email listing all of her gear. I am going to try to post it over the wknd if I get a chance.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 555
What was her budget ?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4458
Where'd she end up buying from, and what did she get?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1652
I am hoping to post it all this wknd. I know she didn't buy everything from one store.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1667
Here is Shirley's System:

*Cambridge Audio Azur 840 CDP $16,000
*Denon ASD-51 Networking iPod Dock $300
*Sony XDR-F1HD Radio Tuner

*First Sound Paramount Plus MK III Statement Tube Preamp
*Classe CA-2200 Power Amp $5500

*Avant Garde Duo Omega Speakers, 2 @ $41,592 ea: $83,184
*REL Studio 2 Subwoofers, 2 @ $8000 ea: $16,000

TOTAL: 136,856.00

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16530
Super

With those hi end hardware why a compressed iPod then a Sony tuner??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
The Sony tuner is an HD tuner. Shirley couldn't find any others and this one works out well for her. The iPod dock is for when she wants background music and the cdp is for serious listening.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5569
What a SYSTEM! Good grief that really is amazingly expensive haha. Looks like the main speakers were the main culprit for boosting the price. Would be neat to see pics if she gets a chance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1687
Yeah! I wish I could fly to NJ to hear the darn thing!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4474
I think you're off about the math...

I'm pretty sure the speakers are $40k-ish per pair, not each. The CDP is $1600, not $16k.

Not to sound the wrong way here, but why would anyone use an 840c in that system? Its a great CDP for $1600, but doesn't belong anywhere near that system IMO. A system is only as good as it's weakest link.

Also, those speakers have 2 subs with 250 watt or so amps in each speaker. Why the REL subs?

Please don't take that as criticism or 'player hating.'

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 326
I work in South Jersey, would she mind setting up a listening session?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3537
I am with Stu. Nice system and all but not sure the 1600 dollar CA would benefit a system to that magnitude. Plus those full range speakers go as low as any sub out there. Interesting. Nice system though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1692
As for the prices and model numbers, all I know is what was in her email. I check w/her when I can and see if everything is correct.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2447
CA840c IS about 1600, not 16K! The DAC inputs are killer. This player really gets the job done. Better players? Sure, but be ready to kick down some even more serious $$$.

My change to Shirley's system? Classe is very very good. I'd, however, trade 'up' to a Pass Labs XA.5 series. Make sure your AC is up to snuff, first, especially at higher powers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1693
Well, I know she's very happy w/what she has right now. She'll probably upgrade, etc later on. She added an extra zero to the price of the cdp. Very exited when she typed the email. I am still waiting for confirmation on the price of the speakers. So, as of now, the total is $122,456 not $136,856.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2451
If I had a 100 large kicking a hole in my pocket, I'd lease my house out for a year and spend the time in Europe seeing the sights. A year should be 'bout right. I think I could squeeze by on 8000$ / month.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1702
I'm sure Shirley will travel at some point. She came into a small fortune 2 yrs ago and invested with help from older, wiser folks. So the $122k was not all she had.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2453
Was this a 'jump in' move or had she 'ramped up' to this level of expense?
If a 'jump in', that's quite a committment to the (hobby? sport? avocation? addiction?) for a first time buy.
If part of a 'ramp up' than all well and good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1704
I guess you'd call it a ramp, if a rather steep one. She started out w/an all Sony receiver based system. Then upgrade to either Onkyo, Denon or Pioneer. She skipped past integrated and went straight to separates.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us