HELP FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS

Username: Cardosao

WOODBRIDGE, VA USA

Post Number: 1
I HAVE AN ONKYO SR800 THX.AND A 7.1 SPEAKERS SET UP ON MY BASEMENT 20X16 ;SOUNDS GOOD BUT I WANT MAKE IT SOUND BETTER.I AM THINKING ABOUT AN OUTLAW 7100 AS MY AMP AND CONFINE MY ONKYO AS PRE.$900 IS NOT AN ISSUE BUT SPEND THAT AND DON'T GET ANYTHING BACK DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE FOR ME.SHOULD I BUY IT ?WILL IT IMPROVE MY SISTEM?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 586
Much depends on your speakers and your room acoustics. If your speakers are fairly efficient and there is rarely any clipping, or you just don't like the timbre and frequency response of your speakers, I doubt there will be much improvement from adding an amp.

I would first make sure you use an SPL meter and balance the speakers and also make sure that the room acoustics aren't too lively or too "dead". Too lively is often a problem in basement set-ups. You can always add inexpensive rugs and wall hangings if the room is too lively.

What speakers are you currently using--along with what subwoofer?

If you like your speakers, but find there is significant clipping then an Outlaw amp (or other higher output amplifier)would be helpful. But many people often don't have very good speakers and they aren't placed well and the speakers haven't been balanced with an SPL Meter. And often room acoustics are pretty poor. Powerful amplifiers won't solve those problems.

The most important issues for a good system are quality speakers that are placed well and balanced with an SPL meter and improving your room acoustics. Obviously your amplification should be adequate for your speakers, but you should be able to hear if there is much clipping going on.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 237
He said he wanted the sound better, not higher. Then, adding an extra amp will relief some stress, but only if he uses both amps to power the speakers. For example, the Outlaw for the fronts and center, and the Onkyo for the others. However, one should check if the Onkyo allows this type of setup.
Enjoy

ABC
Unregistered guest
His Onkyo is 100watts per ch and the Outlaw is
also 100 watts per ch so I DON"T see no improvment
in sound. He doesn't say what kind of speakers he
has...that might make a difference.

Tech Pro
Unregistered guest
Try it. See if it works. DUH!

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 238
Simple! If you feed 7 speakers with a 7 ch. amp, its input transformer will work at its full, but if you feed 7 speakers with two 7 ch. amps, each amp's input transformer will work sensibly half the stress, would'n't you say so? The power output devices (usually power transistors) get their power reserve from the input transformers that feed the rectifying section (diodes, bridges, capacitors...)

ABC
Unregistered guest
If his speakes are cheap..then he's wasting his
money

B RUNO
what kind of speakers do you have

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 888
bruno it is hard to say for sure.

but your reciever trying to put out 100w on every